C4AA Sonar People Counter
This project uses sonar to detect when people walk through a doorway. The signal is sent to an arduino, which triggers lights (and possibly sounds) and counts the person on 8in LED numbers overhead.
The project uses:
- Arduino - we used a RedBoard
- LCD Button Shield V2 - note: this is now retired, but it seems similar shields are available.
- 6.5in tall 7-segment Display
- SparkFun Large Digit Driver
TO DO Part 1: Basic Systems & Testing
Strengthen wired connections between parts
Some of the wired connections were too delicate for use in the field.
- Rebuilt circuitboard that sits alongside arduino and LED shield
- added ethernet jacks to run connection between LED Number display and Arduino.
- used JRT connectors between LED strip light and board.
- kept pin header connections for connection to Sonar unit.
Part 2: Ideas for Improvements
Bike bell + servo motor
Add positionable mount for sonar sensor
Build case for arduino, circuit board, and bell:
LED 7-Segment Display Box
Part 3: Documentation and Instructions
We should do this as we go along. It starts now!
Part 4: Physical door (if there’s time)
Experiment with designs, or creating specifications for building on site.