The Graide Network is looking for a proactive, self-driven software engineer who wants to use technology to make an impact on K-12 education. We support teachers by expanding their capacity and amplifying their impact while helping to better prepare the next generation of educators. Most importantly, we are creating powerful educational moments through excellent feedback for all students.
If you are passionate about education and you want to make a meaningful impact at a small company, keep reading!
As a software engineer you'll be involved with the whole development cycle. You will:
- Plan the technical specifications and architecture of new features and changes
- Write high quality, testable code solo and with a pair
- Spend some time tracking down and squashing bugs (we do one bug sprint per month)
- Address security and technical debt as it arises
- Ensure deployments succeed and that production systems stay up
Learning is part of our culture, so it's okay if you haven't done everything on this list yet. Just be ready and willing to learn it.
The tech we use
While you will probably start out working in the part of our codebase you feel most comfortable with, everyone is a full-stack developer here.
- Frontend: Typescript, Angular, Bootstrap
- Backend: PHP, Laravel, MySQL, Redis, NGINX
- Virtualization: Docker, Docker Compose
- Production Deployments: Azure, Linux, Forge
Here's a diagram of our tech stack to help you visualize how the pieces fit together:
The product you'll be working on
Our platform enables teachers to upload assignments and receive high-quality feedback on their students' work from qualified grading assistants who we find and vet. The product's primary workflow is:
- Teachers can upload their assignments with student work attached.
- We find and match their assignment with a Graider (typically college students studying to be teachers).
- The Graider grades the assignment in our platform.
- We return the assignment, student work, and automatically generated reports to the teacher.
In 2020, our focus is on developing new reporting and mangement tools for larger schools and districts. You will take an active role in helping develop, test, and release these features with the help of the rest of the team.
Our commitment to diversity
The Graide Network serves a diverse array of students and teachers as customers, and is equally committed to creating a diverse workplace environment. We are a woman-founded business, and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Now that you know a little more about what you'll do and the impact you'll have, here's what you'll need to succeed in this role:
- You want to work in education, and make an impact on students' and teachers' lives.
- Your personal goals align with this role and our company's mission.
- You care more about the "why" than the "how".
- You take on projects beyond your current knowledge to challenge yourself.
- You learn, create, or code in your free time.
- You notice and record problems then make an effort to solve them efficiently.
- You have a proven record of solving engineering problems and tracking down issues across the stack.
- You knows when to ask vs. when to figure it out on your own.
- You can communicate technical ideas to non-technical team members.
- You demonstrate an organized approach to solving problems.
- You consistently ask for and implement feedback.
- You commit to realistic timelines on the projects you take on.
- You can be counted on to do what you say.
- You are a self-starter, and find things to do even when not assigned a task directly.
- Health insurance, 401k, and pre-tax CTA transit account
- Unlimited paid vacation (our CTO takes 4-6 weeks per year)
- Monthly personal career goal setting sessions
- Paid family leave
Note: We are a "bring your own device" workplace; Mac or Linux is preferred
Get in touch to learn more
Want to learn more? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a quick, confidential chat and learn more about what this role might look like.
You can read more about our team and our company here. Thanks for taking a look!