"Tifflin" Experimental Kernel (and eventually Operating System)
This is an experiment in writing an OS Kernel in rust (http://rust-lang.org).
Mostly the architecture is being designed as I go along, but it will be written to be architecture independent (the current verison is x86_64/amd64).
- Runtime module initialisation with dependencies
- Clear user-kernel separation of duties
- Userland owns the ELF loader, kernel uses a custom format for init.
- Object-based syscall API
- Kernel-provided window manager (yes, I know old windows did this)
- SATA (AHCI)
- ATAPI CDROM
- VirtIO Block
- PS2 Keyboard/Mouse
- Multiboot only
- GUI Apps
- Login (Credentials are root/password)
- "GUI Shell" (with background!)
- Text Terminal app (with basic set of commands)
- Filesystem viewer
- amd64 (aka x86_64) - Boots to limit of implementation
- armv7 - Loads userland then crashes
- GNU Binutils (cross-compiled)
- GCC (for ACPICA)
libguestfs-tools(for creating disk images)