ExaBGP provides a convenient way to implement Software Defined Networking by transforming BGP messages into friendly plain text or JSON, which can then be easily handled by simple scripts or your BSS/OSS.
It is routinely used to improve service resilience and provide protection against network or service failures. For example, thanks to the
healthcheck backend included, anycasted DNS service failures can be detected and handled gracefully. To help you get started, Vincent Bernat put forward a full lab explaining how to best use this feature.
But it is not its only strength, thanks to modern routers' flow balancing, ExaBGP can also be used to save you money on load balancers. Other uses include keeping an eye on network changes done by RIPE or by other networks with GIXLG.
The program is packaged for Debian, Ubuntu, ArchLinux, Gentoo, Mint, FreeBSD, OSX and even OmniOS.
The latest version is available on
pypi, the Python Package Index
> pip install exabgp > exabgp --help > python -m exabgp healthcheck --help
It is also possible to download the latest archive from github
> curl -L https://github.com/Exa-Networks/exabgp/archive/3.4.16.tar.gz | tar zx > ./exabgp-3.4.16/sbin/exabgp --help > ./bin/healthcheck --help
git, for production deployment, please use the "3.4` branch.
> git clone https://github.com/Exa-Networks/exabgp.git > git checkout 3.4 > ./bin/healthcheck --help
Multiple versions can be used simulteanously without conflict when ExaBGP is ran from extracted archives and/or local git repositories.
The configuration file and API format change from time to time, but every effort is made to make sure backward compatibility is kept. However users are encouraged to read the release note/CHANGELOG and check their setup after upgrade.
During "day time" (GMT/BST) feel free to contact us on
Gitter; we will try to respond if available. ExaBGP also has a channel on
#exabgp but it is not monitored.
The following projects are related to ExaBGP
- fastnetmon a DDOS protection solution
- exabgp edgerouter Spamhaus and Emerging Threats blocking with Ubiquiti EdgeRouters
- exabgp-voipbl advertises local or/and voipbl.org blacklist using unicast or flow route.
- IOS2ExaBGP converts Cisco IOS IPv4 BGP LOC Rib dumps to ExaBGP's format
- MRTparse convert MRT format to ExaBGP
- ExaZK a plugin to interface ExaBGP & ZooKeeper
- exazk a ruby solution to interface ExaBGP & ZooKeeper to achieve service HA
- bgperf Stress test solution for Bird and Quagga (can be used with other implementations)
- super smash brogp Stress test BGP
- kyro realtime network performance measurement and optimal routes injection - not really ExaBGP related, they have their own stack, but worth mentioning
Other BGP implementation
- Full list of known open source BGP implementation
- Bird very good C based BGP implementation with powerful route filtering language for network administrators
- GoBGP an implementation with various binding for programmers
- RYU for SDN fans
- WanGuard DDOS protection from Andrisoft with ExaBGP integration
RFC support includes ASN4, IPv6, MPLS, VPLS, Flow, Graceful Restart, Enhanced Route Refresh, and AIGP among others. More information can be found here
Who is using ExaBGP ?
These organisations have spoken of, or are using/have used ExaBGP:
Exa Networks has also developed a high-performance and very flexible filtering HTTP proxy (allowing cookie manipulation and other goodies). Spread the word