This project has been deprecated. Don't stress if you've built a project using it - it won't stop functioning or anything - but the template has been superceded by Ember App Kit. Hopefully a Yeoman generator for it will be released soon :)
Charcoal: An alternative Ember generator
This an alternative Ember generator forked from Yeoman's offical Ember Generator.
This generator creates a new Ember project that uses Bower to handle dependencies and builds with Trek's Grunt-Neuter task. It uses a "module" pattern for the file structure rather than the traditional controller, model, view, route, and template folders.
What Charcoal has:
- A generator for creating a new Ember project, including dependencies via Bower.
- A default set of smart conventions and Grunt tasks to support it.
- A generator to create new Ember modules.
- A guide to building projects with Yeoman+Grunt+Bower+Charcoal.
- Preconfigured but disabled-by-default static assets tasks. Use only the dependencies you need.
What Charcoal does not have:
Lots of things! See the issues page for a short-term roadmap. I try to keep my development as transparent as possible.
First, if you haven't already, install Yeoman and Charcoal:
npm install -g yo generator-charcoal
- Create a new project folder:
mkdir my_project && cd my_project
yo charcoalto generate a new project template
- Test to make sure it works with
A page with "Welcome to Ember.js" should appear in your browser. Refer to the development guide for further information :)
The default Bower configuration includes jQuery, Handlebars, Ember, and Ember Data. The first three are all their latest stable revision, while Ember Data is always pulled from ember-data-latest.js.
Skips the automatic execution of
npmafter scaffolding has finished.
Testing right now is sort of ad-hoc while I figure out how to automate testing the generators. In the meantime, before a PR:
- Generate a new application and make sure that
grunt test-server, and
grunt buildare working properly.
- Generate a new module and make sure it is loaded successfully.
grunt jshintto make sure both the application and module are linted properly.