Copyright © 2009 – 2013, Evan Jehu
All rights reserved.
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
- Neither the name of the author nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS “AS IS” AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL EVAN JEHU BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
Quick Tabs is a tab management browser extension for the Google Chrome web browser based on the “Recent Files” quick selector built into the excellent IntelliJ IDEA by Jetbrains.
Quick Tabs allows you to move quickly between recently used tabs without requiring the use of your mouse, locate and switch to tabs as you need them with minimal keystrokes even when you have large numbers of open tabs.
Visit the Quick Tabs google extensions page to install this and try it out …
- lists all the open tabs in Chrome across all of your open windows
- tabs are listed in most recently used (MRU) order and excludes the current tab (since your switching tabs)
- quickly search and select tabs by typing letters in the page title or url
- displays the number of tabs you currently have open in all your Chrome windows
- track recently closed tabs and allow them to be searched and restored
- shortcut key to launch popup window from most tabs, defaults to Ctrl + m, configurable on the options page. This key will also select the next tab once the popup window has loaded.
- keyboard navigation of tab list (up and down arrow keys, enter to select)
- tab list shortcut keys:
- to close selected tab (default ctrl+d)
- to close ALL displayed tabs in the tab list, honors search filtering (default shift+ctrl+d)
- select next tab (ctrl+n)
- select previous tab (ctrl+p)
Showing the popup expanded and ready for action.
Screenshot showing the tab search and match highlighting.
Invalid Value for ‘permission [ 0 ]’
Make sure you are running Google Chrome version 4.0.x +
The source code for this extension is available on github, please feel free to inspect it before you install this extension, especially as I am asking permission to interact with your computer and its private data.
FEEDBACK AND BUGS
Please report all your valuable feedback, feature requests and bug reports on the github issues page for this extension.
CHROME API WISH LIST
- shortcut keys for browser action extensions – this would allow the extension to work with only “tab” permissions and not require access to the users computer simply to run its contentScript :|
- ability to set the focus to a window and not just a tab
2013.6.24 – merged fix for issue #8, thanks yaauie
2013.5.1 – fix for bug #44, Showing nonexistent “New Tabs” open with incorrect total
2013.1.23 – bug fixes, removed console logging
2012.12.9 – bug fixes, pressing the popup load shortcut once the popup has loaded now selects the next tag in the list
2012.12.8 – bug fixes and performance improvements
2012.12.7 – bug fixes and code updates
2012.12.4 – applied patches from konk303 (line hight, ctrl+n/ctrl+p tab select keyboard shortcuts), ignacysokolowski (search delay option and integer parse bug) and slay2k (huge code update, updated to manifest version 2, library version updates and improved search matching)
2011.2.18 – applied patches from yaauie, option to set search provider, open popup in the middle of current window, compatible with multiple monitors
2010.6.27 – applied crtl+D tab close tab focus enhancement patch from osheroff
2010.5.8 – updated since chrome bug fix to allow tab focus switching between windows in 5.0.375.29 – big thanks to clayhinson. If a tab search returns no results and you press enter a new tab will be opened and if the search is a url it is loaded in the tab otherwise a google search is performed.
2010.3.2 – fixed a bug that cause the popup to close in dev version 5.0.336.0 (39716) – thanks ds :D
2010.2.21 – added more display options and improved scrollbar – thanks Randy
2010.1.31 – better list scrolling and fixed some minor bugs
2010.1.30 – fixed display when urls are hidden, also resolved shortcut key issues created in the last release
2010.1.17 – changed default popup keys to ctrl+m due to windows issues, added button to close selected tab
2010.1.9 – css fixes for popup window, option to hide URL’s
0.9.10 – exclude devtools by default, ctrl+d and ctrl+shift+d shortcuts added
0.9.9 – added options page, recently closed tab tracking, shortcut key configuration and fixed search list highlighting bug
0.9.8 – removed tab auto-reload on install, now alert users when tab reload is required
0.9.7 – bug fixes
0.9.6 – reduced popup size when few tabs are open
0.9.5 – fixed missing scrollbars on Linux
Icon image based on photo by Ged Carroll found at
Blank Icon by Deleket (Jo)