Check for supported browser and features
What it is
A simple means to determine if a users browser is one that you've chosen to support. To obtain basic information about the browser.
What it isn't
This isn't the end all, be all solution that can determine any browser on any platform like https://github.com/NielsLeenheer/WhichBrowser
This isn't comprehensive feature detection library like https://github.com/Modernizr/Modernizr
Why use this
We support certain browsers (the main ones) and would like to inform users gently that they aren't supported and things may not work. This doesn't block access. This doesn't hinder the users experience. Simply states that unless they move to a supported browser, we can't guarantee a good user experience.
This helps manage expectations for users as well as aids in our support center in diagnosing issues.
browserInfo - This is the library which obtains all the information. Its in its own file if you just want to gather the data.
supportedBrowser - This is just a simple function. Given what you want and what the user has will output basic booleans to act upon.
What are the main ones
- Internet Explorer (>=8)
OSX 10.8, 10.9
- Android Browser 2.3 (Gingerbread)
- Chrome 4.0 (IceCream Sandwhich), 4.1-4.3 (Jelly Bean), 4.4 (KitKat)
- Firefox 2.3 (Gingerbread), 4.0 (IceCream Sandwhich), 4.1-4.3 (Jelly Bean), 4.4 (KitKat)
- include scripts
- configure which browsers you would like to support
- call console.log(browserInfo);
- call console.log(supported);
- call console.log(supportedBrowser(supported)); (See demo)
This will return a boolean if the browser/os combination is in your list of supported. Along with all the information it gathered.
Inspiration / Resources
- http://stackoverflow.com/a/21342122 from (http://stackoverflow.com/a/18706818)