Randomly generate user profile images with SVGs and science.
HTML Ruby
Clone or download
Fetching latest commit…
Cannot retrieve the latest commit at this time.
Permalink
Failed to load latest commit information.
lib
tests
views
Gemfile
Gemfile.lock
LICENSE
Procfile
README.md
Rakefile
app.rb
config.ru
hair_colors.yml
skin_tones.yml
user-origin.svg

README.md

Baccano

  1. User profile images
  2. _____
  3. profit?

Architecture

The (SVG) template for the base avatar is in views/index.erb. It interpolates values from the Avatar Ruby object found in avatar.rb. There are two types of values on Avatar that might be used in the template:

  1. Attributes of existing elements in the template (e.g. shirt color)
  2. SVG partials that can be overlayed on top of the base template (e.g. sunglasses)

The Avatar object does not contain any logic, it is simply a data object that contains all of the variables we need in the template.

We use a separate object Rng to generate Avatar objects with random values. It can be initialized with a seed to guarantee the same results. If no seed is given, a random seed will automatically be used.

Adding new random attributes

To add a new random attribute (such as eye color), do the following:

  1. Add the new attribute to the Avatar class
  2. Interpolate the new attribute in the correct place in views/index.erb
  3. Add a function that generates a random version of your attribute to Rng (e.g. Rng#eye_color)
  4. Use that function when randomly generating an avatar in Rng#avatar

Adding a new augmentation

To add a new augmentation (such as beards), do the following:

  1. Create a folder for your augmentation under views/ (e.g. views/beard)
  2. Put one or more variations in this folder. These are SVG files but should have a .erb extension.
  3. Add the new attribute to the Avatar class.
  4. Render the partial returned by that attribute in views/index.erb. (e.g. <%= erb @avatar.beard %>)
  5. Add a function to Rng that returns a random partial for your new attribute. (e.g. Rng#beard) Take advantage of the Rng#attribute_partial function to pick a random partial from a given directory. (e.g. attribute_partial("beard") will return a random partial from the views/beard directory)
  6. Use the function created in (5) when randomly generating an avatar in Rng#avatar

Adding a new variant to an existing augmentation

Say you want to add a new type of sunglasses. Do the following:

  1. Add the SVG file of your new variant to the existing views/glasses folder, saved with a .erb extension.
  2. Profit!!!

Weighted defaults

For many random attributes, we want to use a default value X% of the time. The Rng#percentage allows us to do this. For example:

  def glasses
    percentage(60, "") { attribute_partial("glasses") }
  end

will return default to empty string ("") 60% of the time, and otherwise it will pick a random partial from the views/glasses directory.

Using this function when generating an avatar means that 60% of avatars will have no glasses while the remaining 40% will have a random pair of glasses pulled from the SVGs in the view/glasses directory.

Viewing your work

To view your work locally:

  1. Start a server with foreman start
  2. Visit localhost:5000/random
  3. Keep refreshing the page to see a new random avatar