Laptop is a script to set up a Mac OS X laptop for Rails development.
- Install a C compiler, such as GCC, LLVM, or Clang.
- Set zsh as your login shell.
To change your login shell run this from a Terminal:
chsh -s /bin/zsh
Run the script:
zsh < <(curl -s https://raw.github.com/thoughtbot/laptop/master/mac)
What it sets up
- Ack for finding things in files
- Bundler gem for managing Ruby libraries
- Foreman gem for serving Rails apps locally
- Heroku gem for interacting with the Heroku API
- Heroku Config plugin for local
- Homebrew for managing operating system libraries
- ImageMagick for cropping and resizing images
- Postgres for storing relational data
- Postgres gem for talking to Postgres from Ruby
- Rails gem for writing web applications
- Ruby stable for writing general-purpose code
- RVM for managing versions of the Ruby programming language
- SSH public key for authenticating with Github and Heroku
- Tmux for saving project state and switching between projects
It should take less than 30 minutes to install (depends on your machine).
Laptop is maintained and funded by thoughtbot, inc.
Thank you to all the contributors!
The names and logos for thoughtbot are trademarks of thoughtbot, inc.
Laptop is Copyright © 2011-2012 thoughtbot, inc. It is free software, and may be redistributed under the terms specified in the LICENSE file.