Suspenders is the base Rails application used at thoughtbot.
First install the suspenders gem:
gem install suspenders
This will create a Rails 4.0 app in
By default this script creates a new git repository. See below if you want to use it against an existing repo.
To see the latest and greatest gems, look at Suspenders' templates/Gemfile_clean, which will be appended to the default generated projectname/Gemfile.
It includes application gems like:
- Airbrake for exception notification
- Bourbon for Sass mixins
- Delayed Job for background processing
- Email Validator for email validation
- High Voltage for static pages
- jQuery Rails for jQuery
- Neat for semantic grids
- Postgres for access to the Postgres database
- Rack Timeout to abort requests that are taking too long
- Recipient Interceptor to avoid accidentally sending emails to real people from staging
- Simple Form for form markup and style
- Unicorn to serve HTTP requests
And gems only for staging and production like:
- New Relic RPM for monitoring performance
- Rails 12 Factor to make running Rails 4 apps easier on Heroku
And testing gems like:
- Capybara and Capybara Webkit for integration testing
- Factory Girl for test data
- RSpec for unit testing
- RSpec Mocks for stubbing and spying
- Shoulda Matchers for common RSpec matchers
- Timecop for testing time
Suspenders also comes with:
./bin/setupconvention for new developer setup
- Rails' flashes set up and in application layout
- A few nice time formats set up for localization
Rack::Deflaterto compress responses with Gzip
- Fast-failing factories
Suspenders fixes several of Rails' insecure defaults:
- Suspenders uses Unicorn instead of WEBrick, allowing less verbose Server headers.
- Suspenders is configured to pull your application secret key base from an environment variable, which means you won't need to risk placing it in version control.
You can optionally create Heroku staging and production apps:
suspenders app --heroku true
- Creates a staging and production Heroku app
- Sets them as
- Configures staging with
RAILS_ENVenvironment variables set to
This will initialize a new git repository for your Rails app. You can
bypass this with the
suspenders app --skip-git true
You can optionally create a GitHub repository for the suspended Rails app. It requires that you have Hub on your system:
curl http://hub.github.com/standalone -sLo ~/bin/hub && chmod +x ~/bin/hub suspenders app --github organization/project
This has the same effect as running:
hub create organization/project
Suspenders requires Ruby 1.9.2 or greater.
Some gems included in Suspenders have native extensions. You should have GCC installed on your machine before generating an app with Suspenders.
Use OS X GCC Installer for Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6).
Use Command Line Tools for XCode for Lion (OS X 10.7) or Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8).
PostgreSQL needs to be installed and running for the
db:create rake task.
If you have problems, please create a Github Issue.
Please see CONTRIBUTING.md for details.
Suspenders is maintained and funded by thoughtbot, inc.
The names and logos for thoughtbot are trademarks of thoughtbot, inc.
Suspenders is Copyright © 2008-2014 thoughtbot. It is free software, and may be redistributed under the terms specified in the LICENSE file.