A collection of resources for Clock Club.
The first rule of Clock Club is no one checks the time at Clock Club.
The Chronophage by John C. Taylor. An analog clock with an insect theme. How he creates the lighting effect without changing the lights is interesting.
Time Traveller by Mr. Jones Watches (Crispin Jones). The one moving hand has a tall building for every time zone, so it tells time in all time zones simultaneously. A dot tells the seconds.
The 10,000 Year Clock by the Longnow Foundation. Originated by Danny Hillis, Brian Eno, and Kevin Kelly, the 10K year clock is a monument intended to help encourage very long-term thinking. The basic premise of the Longnow foundation is this: civilization has been around ~10,000 years. If we plan to make it another 10,000, we need to get better at long term thinking.
Paolo Salvagione works on the Long Now clock and was a resident at Pier 9.
Bulbdial Monochrome Kit One of Evil Mad Scientist Labs' clock kits. Does a wonderful job at projecting the hands of the clock as shadows.
Eclisse Table Lamp by Artemide. Lamp that takes inspiration from the phases of the moon.
Working Watch Cufflinks Why not?
Long Distance Watch Kitmen Keung's dual-face watch, so you can always know what time it is at home.
Slow Watch Watch with a single hand that takes 25 hours to go around the face. By Slow Watches.
11+ WORLD CLOCK by Leibal. Shows time in different time zones by rolling the clock.
Tumbler Alarm clock by Norm. Alarm clock that you turn off by turning it over.
Felt Wall Clock by Sebastian Herkner. A felt clock.
A History of Braun part 2: Timepieces Article on Dieter Rams' clock designs for Braun.
Sasa Clock by Thorunn Arnadottir. Counts time using a series of beads, not unlike a rosary.
Aeroport Orly Ouest Horloge Astronomique by Alfred Faullimel and others. A large yet compact depiction of several astronomic properties of the earth, moon, sun and solar system.
Hodinkee has hi-res pictures of fancy watches.
Christiaan van der Klaauw specializes in astronomical complications. JF - I like ones with spherical (rather than flat) moon phase indicators.
Luminance Arielle Hein's clock reflects sunrise and set.
Continue Time Sander Mulder elegantly combines all three hands of a clock.
Bomi Kim rendered what Ben is making functional - a generic two-hand mechanism.
Tom Shannon synchronous world clock with Fuller-Sadao map.
QlockTwo a word clock.
Clock instructable detailing several more word clocks, including C3Jr mentioned in the first ITP Camp Clock Club session.
NY Horological Society teaches watch-making classes.
Equinox is a sun-powered 3D printer similar to an armillary sphere (see below).
One Day Poem Pavilion uses the sun's motion to project and animate a poem that changes through the course of a day and over seasons.
The Present is a one year clock. The kickstarter mentions a circuit to slow the second tick down; this Design Boom article mentions custom German mechanisms but those also seem to show the customization of a different MCU.
From Sundials to Atonic Clocks is a government publication with a lot of interesting information on the history of timekeeping.
ClickSpring is making precision clocks in a small workshop.
Armillary Sphere An animation for the Museum of the History of Science Oxford explaining armillary spheres.
Astrolabe Tom Wujec explains astrolabes.
Paper Astrolabes An exhibit of paper astrolabes from the 1500's, with instructions on building them.
US Naval Observatory shows what the moon looks like right now.
How we Got To Now by Steven Johnson has come up a lot.
A Sideways Look at Time by Jay Griffiths.
- Pololu 250:1 Micro Metal Gearmotor MP with Extended Motor Shaft Small motor with gearbox.
- Solarbotics GM15 25:1 6mm Planetary Gear Pager Motor Another small motor with gearbox.
- McMaster bevel gears
- Metal business card suppliers may be a means of getting precise small-run small metal parts.
- Pololu tiny NEMA 08 Stepper one of the smallest stepper sizes outside of the wimpy 28BYJs
- Precision Microdrive is a large OEM provider for small DC gearmotors and other actuators.
- Anaheim Automation suypplies all kinds of stepper motors, including tiny NEMA08 and NEMA11 motors.
- McMaster telescoping tubing for multiple concentric rotating shafts (but thin walled). Brass also available.
- Concentric turntable bearings like these might be helpful in astronimical mechanisms. Also available through VXB
- Klockit has raw clock parts.
- The Takane tide clock adds a reduction stage to the output of a more-or-less standard mechanism. It consists of a stack of gears in the ratio 57:58:59, thus reducing a 12 hour period (solar half-day) to 12h+25.2m (lunar half-day, tidal period). The 58 tooth gear is visible hanging below the main assembly. By running this mechanism at half speed, the hour hand corresponds to sun position and tide hand to moon position. Alternately, it may be possible to add the tide stage to an existing 24-hour movement for the same effect.
- Laser etching powder-coated parts - laser removes paint.
- The opposite - laser fixes paint to part. Brand name?
- Milling your own clock hands a brief tutorial