Crictainment - Cricket Media App
What is it?
Crictainment is a mobile web app that pulls in cricket news from a half-dozen cricket sites and presents them to you in a curated manner.
It also pulls in highlights and recent photos.
Where can I see it in action?
Note that if things don't load initially, just refresh the page (this is still a hack, you know). Sometimes, pulling the data takes a little longer than usual.
For best experience, view that site on a Webkit browser (sorry FF and IE), or on your iPad and add to your home screen.
Why did you make it?
- I'm a cricket fan
- nothing in this app uses device-level capabilities so why make a native app?
- I could not finish a native app in the 24 hours that it took me to make this.
- I was tired of visiting different sites to get different points of view.
- I want an app that works cross-platform.
- I wanted to experiment with HTML5 and mobile performance.
- All HTML5/CSS/JS.
- All open source.
- YUI3 for widgets/scrolling
- YQL/Pipes for pulling in data and feeds
- Optimized for iPad (in terms of viewport, meta tags, etc.) Just add it to the iPad home screen and check it out.
- Native feel when browsing the app. Animations are all CSS3-based.
- Lots of hard-coded CSS widths and heights which make it look great on iPad but not-so-great on the wider desktop.
- I'm using scrollability in some places. I'd like to either pull this out or edit Scrollability to it does flicking even when using the mouse.
- I haven't figured out how to pull stories from a few of the sites. I think Cricinfo works and Cricbuzz works, but some of the other ones don't.
- The videos are pulled from www.criconline.tv but the host there stopped updating his site, so I'll need to find another provider.