My Bash Profile
This is the bash profile I use across all my macs and some of my servers. Its pretty general and can be used on almost any machine. This is all really heavily influenced by Mat Schaffer and the mess of peeps that have forked and contributed to his profile. My needs started getting too far from what he was doing so I pulled over a bunch of stuff and made it more my own.
Fork my .profile.d repo on github
1. Go home
2. Clone the repository (replace my username with yours)
git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:timmyfury/profile.d.git .profile.d
3. All *.conf files are loaded alphabetically, so this will retain your original settings
mv .profile .profile.d/z_myoldsettings.conf
4. Setup a sym to .profile.d/init. That kicks off the whole thing
ln -s .profile.d/init .profile
5. Make sure you don’t have any .bash_profile or .bashrc hanging out which might override .profile
6. Reload your profile
Some Stuff You Should Know
- Things that are specific to individual flavors are separated into flavor specific directories. (e.g. Linux, Darwin).
- Some assumptions are made about where applications are installed. You may need to change those parts for yourself. I’ve made notes in the Other Jawns Installed section of this page.
Other Jawns Installed
This is my OSX Post Install Guide. First comes first, run your updates.
I still need to add this stuff here.
This is by no means a complete list of what I install.
- MySQL with Homebrew
- FireFox 3.5.14
- FireFox 3.6.11
- Sun VirtualBox
Improvements I’ma Do
- Create a keys repository
- add passwords to key repo readme
- add github key to key repo
- move heroku creds to dotfiles in keys repo
- SSH config in key repo dotfiles
- method to add keys to trusted sites
- method to link key repo dotfiles
- add textmate bundles
- method to link textmate bundles
- add /etc/my.cnf
- method to symlink my.cnf
- play around with ruby s3sync
I Wanna Try These Out
___ ',_`""\ .---, \ :-""``/` | `;' //`\ / / __ | ('. |_ ./O)\ \ `) \ _/-. ` `"` |`-. .-=; ` / `-. /o o \ ,_, . '. L._._;_.-' . `'-. `'-.` ' `'-. `. ' `-._ '-._. -' '. \ `\ | \ | | ; _. \ | | |-.(( ;. \ / / |-.`\) | '. ; / | |(_) ) | \ \ /` | ;'--' \ '.\ /` | / | /`| ; \ / | | | |-._ '. .' / | | |__.`'---"_;'-. .-' //__/ / | .-'`` _.-'` //__/ //___.--''`