Dictionaries for Sublime Text
The following repository contains some UTF8-ready dictionaries for the spell checker feature of Sublime Text.
Most of them were downloaded from the Open Office list. Credits to the people working on these! Read every LANG.txt for details.
- Armenian (Eastern)
- Armenian (Western)
- Català -- Catalan
- Dansk -- Danish
- Deutsch (AT) -- German
- Deutsch (CH) -- German
- Deutsch (DE) -- German
- Deutsch -- German
- Eesti -- Estonian
- English (American)
- English (Australian)
- English (British)
- English (Canadian)
- English (South African)
- Español -- Spanish
- Euskara -- Basque
- Français -- French (There is a special package for this language you may want to check here)
- Galego -- Galician
- Hrvatski -- Croatian
- Italiano -- Italian
- Latvijas -- Latvian
- Lietuvių -- Lithuanian
- Lëtzebuergesch -- Luxembourgish
- Magyar -- Hungarian
- Malays -- Malaysia
- Nederlands -- Dutch
- Norsk (Bokmål) -- Norwegian
- Norsk (Nynorsk) -- Norwegian
- Polski -- Polish
- Português (Brasileiro) -- Portuguese (Brazilian)
- Português (Europeu - Antes do Acordo Ortográfico de 1990) -- Portuguese (European - Before the Ortographic Agreement of 1990)
- Português (Europeu) -- Portuguese (European)
- Română -- Romanian
- Slovensky -- Slovenian
- Slovenčina -- Slovak
- Srpski (Latinica) -- Serbian (Latin)
- Srpski (Ćirilica) -- Serbian (Cyrillic)
- Svenska -- Swedish
- Tiếng Việt -- Vietnamese
- Türkçe -- Turkish
- Čeština -- Czech
- Ελληνικά -- Greek
- Беларуская -- Belarusian (Official)
- български -- Bulgarian
- Монгол -- Mongolian
- Русский -- Russian
- Українська -- Ukrainian
Since installing a new language requires some non easy procedures. The idea is to collect here the dictionaries ready for use.
Today this contains a list of some languages, the idea is to extends the list with help from the community.
Adding a new language
My primary language is Spanish, then I'm not sure of the state and quality of the different languages added here.
Please if you found a better dictionary or something to improve, your change will be welcome.
To add a new language:
- Download the language file from here.
- Rename the "some.oxt" file to "some.zip"
- Unzip the file
- Look for three files: "lang.aff", "lang.dic" and "readme_lang.txt"(or something similar)
- Open the "lang.aff" to check the encoding used. Such the line: "SET ISO-8859-1"
- Convert that file to UTF-8 from the used encoding
- Convert "lang.dic" to UTF-8 from the used encoding.
- Convert "readme_lang.txt" to UTF-8 from the used encoding.
- Change "SET ISO-8859-1" to "SET UTF-8"
- Copy "readme_lang.txt" to "lang.txt"
- Copy these three files to this repository
- Update the language list above in this file, add yourself to the credits section (keep alphabetical order!)
- Open a pull request to help improve this package! Thank you.
Iconv and Encodings
Iconv may be used to convert a file to UTF-8 from another encoding. For example:
iconv -f iso-8859-1 -t utf-8 en_CA.aff > en_CA_utf8.aff
You can use the file command to check an encoding:
file -bi en_CA_utf8.aff
us-ascii might be reported if there are no unicode (utf-8) characters present in the file.
- Adam Retter
- Adam St. John
- Aitor Carlos Urrutia Aranburu
- Aksel Meola
- Alexandr Zhevedenko
- Andrej Kvasnica
- Fakhrullah Padzil
- Florian Morgan
- Haoliang Yu
- Hayk Karapetyan
- Jack Cuthbert
- Jacob Bundgaard
- Jonas Follesø
- Kalman Kemenczy
- Lyubomir Vezev
- Maksim Norkin
- Marcos Chavarría Teijeiro
- Max @ulidtko
- Mehmet Ali Gozaydin @kubudik
- Mladen Mihajlović @mika76
- Nick Wilde
- Nicolás Vaughan
- Pedro Chambino
- Petr Dvořák
- Roland Richter
- Thomas Feldmann
- Valery Kocubinsky
- Zeljko Babic
- Aliaksiej Homza @GomZik
- Locate Sublime Text Package folder (Preferences > Browse Packages).
For Linux, it's likely at
- Download and unzip, or clone the contents of this repository, into this folder (Packages)
- Rename the folder in a more suitable name, ex: "Dictionaries"
~/.config/sublime-text-3/Packages/Dictionaries(warning: there must not be any sub-folder in this folder, depending on your unzipping software, you might need to move files to the parent folder)
- Choose the language (View > Dictionaries > English (British))
- Be sure spelling is activated (F6 / View > Spell Check)
- You are done !
Sublime Text uses Hunspell for its spell checking support.