A simple web-based chatroom app. Designed as a proof-of-concept for
Ben Black’s Riak training at VelocityConf 2010.
Features / Problems
- Everything is stored and served out of Riak. Take that, couchapps!
- Tested in Chrome, Safari, Firefox. Other browsers, caveat emptor.
- Remembers your login credentials via unencrypted cookies.
- Randomizes the polling interval to avoid dogpile effects.
- Uses full-bucket map-reduce, so won’t perform well at huge numbers of messages.
- Use gravatar, should you decide not to remain anonymous.
- Startup Riak locally on the standard HTTP port (8098).
- Join your local node to the cluster, if necessary.
- Run the
- Visit http://127.0.0.1:8098/riak/yak/index.html
Read the source! The majority of the work is in
yakriak.js, and the
map and reduce functions in the
Credit where credit’s due
- jQuery 1.4.2 (jQuery team)
- json2.js (Douglas Crockford)
- cookie.js (Maxime Haineault, John W. Long)
- md5.js (Paul Johnston)