Carbon Five — February 2018 - present (Senior Software Developer)
- iOS app for socially responsible investing
- built using a static data graph of observables with validation and result types
- written declaratively using many ideas from functional programming
- introduced client to the Apple representative for the finance category
- helped to hire the team that continue to develop the app
Skurt - May 2017 to January 2018 (Senior Software Engineer)
- Guided engineering team to follow a more XP/Lean development process
- Lead the transition from monolithic feature development to incremental improvements in small batches
- Implemented a test driven development process, including full test coverage on all new features and backfilling of test coverage when refactoring
- Executed product transition from reservations to on-demand rentals
- Reduced app size by 30% without loss of functionality
- Reduced compile times by 300%
Pivotal Labs - November 2015 - May 2017 (Senior Software Engineer)
- tvOS app for a lean-back, recommendation based video experience
- Software to manage broadcast tv for online streaming in React/Java/Spring for a large broadcast tv company
- Redesign of meal plan workflow for FoodTech in Node/Angular
- iOS app for FinTech startup in auto loan space developed in Swift and Rails
- iOS app for an auto club in Southern California developed in Objective-C
ThinkALike - April 2015 - October 2015 (Senior Software Engineer)
iOS based social network designed to discover unknown connections between users
- Developed in Swift
- Backend developed in Rails
- Worked with Pivotal Labs and the rest of ThinkALike development team to architect and build a social network to share thoughts and find others you think alike with
Apptonomy Group - November 2014 - March 2015 (Freelance)
iOS keyboard extension to quickly launch favorite apps and sharing current location
- Developed in Swift
- Integrated row of 10 shortcuts with a long press action to get to 10 more
- Integrated a location key to quickly insert Google or Apple maps links to current location
- Enabled full support for changing theme of keyboard
FanWire Inc - June 2014 - November 2014 (Freelance)
iOS app to aggregate all social content from your favorite musicians
- Developed in Swift
- Utilized CloudKit as replacement for server-side needs
- Developed UI to allow Twitter, Facebook and Instagram content to be displayed in a single social timeline
- Developed UI to allow YouTube and Vevo videos to be displayed in a single media timeline
Moopon - April 2014 - June 2014 (Freelance)
iOS app to find and redeem deals by sharing via social networks.
- Redesigned and rebranded existing iOS app
- Simplified deal discovery by merging maps and list views of deals
- Enabled quick deal sharing to Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
Gray's College Enterprises - November 1998 - March 2014 (Director/Developer)
Gray's owns and operates eight off-campus retail stores catering to the college market. Additionally Gray's runs a wholesale division that distributes textbooks to the stores and online directly to students.
- Designed and built from scratch an iOS app customized for the purchase of textbooks directly from students while at a remote location. The app helps the buyer to quickly determine what price to offer to students by searching an often changing database of over one million records. The app can use a physical barcode scanner or the devices camera to capture ISBN's from barcodes.
- Designed and built a tool to search Amazon for arbitrage opportunities on textbooks. The tool would compare prices from existing suppliers to selling prices on Amazon. It would automatically purchase the textbooks whenever the price discrepancy met our formula.
- Developed tools to automatically acquire critical business information about required textbooks for classes from campus websites. The tool would crawl the websites weekly and email reports of what information had changed.
- Designed and lead development of a custom textbook inventory management system. Built to supply both Gray's retail stores and selling directly to students online. The value of a used textbook changes rapidly so the system was built to monitor these changes and notify when the value had dropped so the inventory could be liquidated.
- Designed and lead development of system to manage the renting of textbooks to students. The system tracked which students had which books and would notify the student when the book needed to be returned.
- Managed the development of e-commerce sites for all retail operations
- Helped to manage the operations of the entire company
Technologies used: Swift, Objective-C, Xcode, iOS, tvOS, Ruby, Rails, React, Redux, Rx*, Angular, Node, Spring, Git, GitHub, Vim, PostgreSQL, Tokyo Cabinet, MessagePack