Music Videos in R
The two examples are at
Generate the slides by running
Rscript slides.r. This loads the
slides.Rmd template, knits it, converts it to HTML and puts the output
index.html. All of the webby files in this directory allow that
file to be a slideshow.
Things to remember to talk about
- Point out that creating pretty graphs in base R graphics is quite unpleasant; this is why you should ordinarily use ggplot2.
- If symph.io were a real company, we'd note that we're hiring. But we're not a real company, so we instead note that we're available for hire.
I'm Thomas - Data Superhero I'm Brian - Data Scientologist
Intro (Trade Off) - 5 minutes
* big data is complex * visuals cannot fully capture the dimensionality of big data * we need new sensory experiences to express more dimensions * obama video - what do kids like? dubsteb and big data * we need poppy big data music videos * we've built these ideas are into symph.io - we have a proprietary data experience engine that big data companies are using them tame their big data tsunamis in real time. - but we're just gonna talk about some early prototypes we built in R and are now open-sourcing.
12 days of Christmas (Thomas)
* drawing base R graphics - slides - base R drawing functions - building up a plot from scratch <- live code * playing slides to songs - slides - live performance ???
FMS Symphony (Thomas, then Brian)
* Thomas is available for hire.