The Quinoa index combines strange properties of municipalities in order to find peculiar municipalities.
java -jar bin/selenium-server-standalone-2.21.0.jar
Run the downloader script.
This results in a
yoga/yoga.sqlite. Copy this to
parse the raw html downloads with
Results will be in
/tmp/yoga.sqlite; move that wherever you want to keep it.
I downloaded that stuff from here.
- Collect both hip things and non-hip things.
- Ashville, NC
- Ithaca, NY
- Bicycle usage
- Car usage
- Speed limits
- Census data
- Presence of groups like PLoTS, CfA, Awesome, &c.
- County-level election data might say something; the cool places I know of vote democrat. This might be quite correlated with urbanness.
- Suburu dealerships
- McDonalds, Pizza Hut, &c.
- Organic producers, food cooperatives, &c.
- University locations
- Water quality
- Air quality