Laptop is a set of scripts to get your laptop set up as a development machine.
Mac OS X
First, install GCC for OS X. (requires OS X 10.6 or higher)
Then, run this one-liner:
bash < <(curl -s https://raw.github.com/todc/laptop/master/mac)
What it sets up
- SSH public keys (for authenticating with services like Github and Heroku)
- Homebrew or apt-get (for managing operating system libraries)
- MySQL (for storing relational data)
- Redis (for storing key-value data)
- rbenv (for managing versions of the Ruby programming language)
- Ruby 1.9.3 stable (for writing general-purpose code)
- Bundler gem (for managing Ruby libraries)
- Rails gem (for writing web applications)
- MySQL gem (for making Ruby talk to SQL databases)
It should take about 30 minutes for everything to install, depending on your machine.