This is a Godot project. The main purpose of this project is to get familier with the Godot game engine.
To achive a decent performance and as a consequence a decent rendering distance of the world I only generate the top surface of the terrain (so the surface is created out of one single plane and not by multiple cubes (as I did it in the minecraft blender game engine project on my git hub page)) Therefore I used the godot datatool to manipulate and create single face and UV maps.
how to test
If you want to test the game:
- just download or clone the repository
- than download Godot Godot
- start the Godot client
- scan for project and choose the downloaded unzipped folder
Until now there are only a few things working:
- there is a randomly created voxel engine based on dictionaries
- A surface mesh is generated where needed with proper UV mapping
- Physic bodies are created so there is interaction with the world
- Basic character controls to explore the world...
Some features which I'm planning to implement:
- you still can't build or destroy blocks. Because I have to manipulate the surface to get new blocks or to destroy a Voxel this is not as easy than just adding a cube mesh.