Ubuntu 10.04 Ruby/GIS Chef cookbooks
Make deploying Ruby/GIS apps on AWS simple and safe.
- Targets ubuntu 10.04 EBS. (tested 32bit AMI: ami-714ba518. 64bit should be ok)
- Designed for Chef Solo. Nothing fancy. Simple.
- Uses debs where possible
What can it build?
- web.json - rack (REE, nginx, passenger, postgres connectors & sinatra)
- database.json - PostGIS 1.4 (REE, postgis 1.4, tuned postgres 8.4, GIS template, nightly S3 backups)
- utility.json - Memcached and Sphinx ready for indexing as a remote search index
- full_stack.json - web.json + database.json + utility.json
- starspan.json - starspan + rack (starspan is a highspeed raster analysis tool)
found in /server
How to use with AWS Web Console?
Edit the last line of boot.sh to pick the server type & paste it into the User Data field when making a new server. The server will bootstrap itself.
How to use with EC2 API tools?
Make a 50GB EBS instance:
ec2-run-instances --block-device-mapping /dev/sda1=:50 ami-714ba518 -f boot.sh -k my_key -g [my_sec_group]
- Takes ~5-10 mins to build. Make tea, not emails
- WWW the server URL to see the chef log (eventually).
- Amazon load balancer and join pool
- monitoring (nagios/monit/bluepill?)