How to report a bug
These guidelines explain how to write a good bug report or feature request (a task) in Tometo's task tracker (see :doc:`Phabricator </phabricator/help>` for more information). Well-written tasks are more likely to be worked on quickly.
- Be clear
- Explain how to reproduce the problem, step by step, so others can reproduce the bug, or understand the request.
- Include only one problem per task
- Include any relevant links and examples
Before you do anything
Can you reproduce the issue?
Try to reproduce your bug using a recent version of the software, to see whether it has already been fixed.
Has someone else already reported the issue?
Use the search box of Tometo's bugtracker to see if your bug has already been reported, or the feature requested. You can also perform more advanced searches on the advanced search page.
If you are unsure whether a bug has already been reported, you should report the bug. It is better to have duplicate bugs than it is to have unreported bugs.
Reporting a new bug or feature request
If you have faced a bug in a recent version and no one else appears to have reported it, then:
- Go to https://git.tometo.org
- You will have to log in (or register) if you haven't already done so (see :ref:`phab-creating-account`)
- Click the bookmark button in the upper right corner and choose "Create Tometo task"
- Fill out at least the following fields:
- Title: A short one-sentence summary that explains the problem (not your suggested solution).
Selecting avatar is not functional
- Description: Full details of the issue, giving as much detail as possible. This should include:
- For bugs:
- Steps to reproduce: Minimized, easy-to-follow steps that will trigger the described problem. Include any special setup steps.
- Actual Results: What the application did after performing the above steps.
- Expected Results: What the application should have done, if there was no bug.
- For feature requests:
- A description of what you would like to achieve, and why. Explain what you hope the feature will solve (the actual underlying problem) along with specific examples; but do not demand a specific solution, as there might be other/better solutions. A user story might be an effective way of conveying this.
- Please also provide any other information that may be useful, such as:
- The web browser, computer systems or hardware you've seen the bug on
- Links or diffs to one or more pages where you encountered the bug
- Whether the problem appears every time, only occasionally, only on certain pages, or only under specific circumstances
- To attack a log file or a screenshot, click the Upload File button (a cloud with an arrow) in the toolbar of the Description field.
- Select the projects that are relevant for this bug:
- The default projects are tometo-triage (this is important to leave) and tometo (you should leave this unless the bug has nothing to do with the core Tometo software).
- If any other teams might be interested in this, or if the bug appeared in a different component, please attach them to the task. Otherwise, a team member will do it for you once you've created the task.
- Subscribers: If you know any people who will be interested in getting notified of this task, you can add them here. Otherwise, ignore this field.
Check if your report is complete, then press the Create Task button.
The priority for the task will be set by the Triage team, and the people who will be planning to work on this task.
That's all! Thank you so much for helping to improve Tometo!