An API Playground.
- Great for demonstrating an API's functionality
- Useful for doing story acceptance when developing an API
- Gives pretty-printed output and the browser saves your input making it easy to reuse
Add the wurl_engine gem to your Gemfile:
Use the built-in rake tasks to copy the migrations to your app and migrate your db:
rake wurl_engine:install:migrations rake db:migrate
Then in your main app's routes.rb file, add this to make the wurl_engine routable:
mount WurlEngine::Engine => "/wurl", :as => "wurl_engine"
Finally, look at your new API playground by starting your rails server and hitting up the right URL:
Customize Wurl to Match Your Application
Rails Mountable Engines make it easy to override or extend many parts of Wurl. If you need to override a method, view or partial, create the corresponding file in your main app directory and it will be used instead.
- Controllers & Helpers: See Engines::RailsExtensions::Dependencies for more information.
- Views: now handled almost entirely by ActionView itself (see Engines::Plugin#add_plugin_view_paths for more information)
For instance, you may want to change the overall presentation layout of Wurl to match your app. To do so, simply create a new application.html.haml in the corresponding directory your main app:
_ my-app \_ app \_ views \_layouts \_ wurl_engine \_ application.html.haml