mc.rtpsend~ / mc.rtpreceive~
2022/01/06: This project is not actively maintained. jit.ndi also supports the transmission of uncompressed audio over local network and it should be more stable now. If you want to continue to maintain or develop this project, I will support. Just send PR or contact me.
External objects for Cycling'74 Max to send MSP signal over network using rtp protocol. An modern alternative to legacy
- Send mc audio signal through 16bit-integer PCM signals.
- Sending signals over NAT (= Global Network) is not supported. Consider use VPN.
notes & todos
- When use this external, in Max's "Audio Setting", "IO Vector Size" and "Signal Vector Size" must be the same. If signal vector size is too smaller than IO vector size, it fails to send audio correctly.
- Currently number of channels are fixed by an attribute "channels", an auto-adaptation depending on input channels is not available due to a limitation of min-api.
- A codec is fixed to Linear PCM 16bit(Big Endian). For future, Opus will be added.
Get latest version from release page.
Unzip downloaded folder and drop the root folder into Max package directory (for macOS,
if you don't need source anymore, you can delete files other than in
Build from Source
You need cmake and C,C++ compiler. This project uses ffmpeg library for rtp streaming.
This project installs ffmpeg using vcpkg, a cross-platform paackage manager registered as submodule at
For a more detailed workflow, read GitHub Actions workflow in
Currently tested on macOS 10.15.3, XCode 11.4.1.
Open a terminal and type following commands.
git clone https://github.com/tomoyanonymous/rtpsendreceive.git --recursive cd rtpsendreceive ./vcpkg/bootstrap-vcpkg.sh ./vcpkg/vcpkg install ffmpeg\[avformat,avdevice,avcodec,core\] cmake . -B build cmake --build build --target all
Currently tested on Visual Studio Community 2019
Open "Developer Command Prompt for VS 2019" and type following commands.
git clone https://github.com/tomoyanonymous/rtpsendreceive.git --recursive cd rtpsendreceive .\vcpkg\bootstrap-vcpkg.bat .\vcpkg\vcpkg install ffmpeg[avformat,avdevice,avcodec,core]:x64-windows cmake . -B build cmake --build build --target all
Tomoya Matsuura 松浦知也
The objects are originally made for works cooparated with stu.inc.