An engine for creating text-based games.
Please note: For most people Toothrot IDE is the better choice for developing Toothrot games.
- Markdown-like format for writing games
- Different modes of interaction:
- Regular links (like known from Twine)
- Option menus (like in ChoiceScript or in visual novels)
- Going to the next node by clicking or pushing a button (like in visual novels)
- Customizable screen system written in regular HTML and CSS with default screens:
- Main screen
- Pause screen
- Savegame screen
- Settings screen
- Savegame system with slots, auto-save and quick save/load
- Text nodes can also be things in the simple world model, e.g. rooms, items or persons
- Text nodes can be tagged and put into a hierarchy
- Text nodes can contain other text nodes
- Support for mobile devices (and "add to homescreen")
- Exports games for browsers (works without a web server) or as Windows/Mac/Linux desktop apps
- Audio support with separate channels for sounds, ambience and music
- Games playable using the keyboard
- Games playable with screen readers (experimental)
- Speed-adjustable reveal effect for text (like in visual novels)
- Browser builds support application cache (offline mode) out of the box
The documentation resides in its own repository and can be found here.