TopoLVM is a CSI plugin using LVM for Kubernetes. It can be considered as a specific implementation of local persistent volumes using CSI and LVM.
- Project Status: Testing for production
- Conformed CSI version: 1.5.0
Our supported platform are:
- Kubernetes: 1.25, 1.24, 1.23
- Node OS: Linux with LVM2 (*1)
- Filesystems: ext4, xfs, btrfs(experimental)
- lvm version 2.02.163 or later (adds JSON output support)
*1 The host's Linux Kernel must be v4.9 or later which supports
reflink, if you use xfs filesystem with an official docker image.
Docker images are available on ghcr.io.
Please note that the images on quay.io are deprecated and will be removed in the future.
A demonstration of TopoLVM running on kind (Kubernetes IN Docker) is available at example directory.
For production deployments, see deploy/README.md.
User manual is at docs/user-manual.md.
Deprecated: If you want to use TopoLVM on Rancher/RKE, see docs/deprecated/rancher.md.
TopoLVM project welcomes contributions from any member of our community. To get started contributing, please see our Contributing Guide.
- Dynamic provisioning: Volumes are created dynamically when
PersistentVolumeClaimobjects are created.
- Raw block volume: Volumes are available as block devices inside containers.
- Topology: TopoLVM uses CSI topology feature to schedule Pod to Node where LVM volume exists.
- Extended scheduler: TopoLVM extends the general Pod scheduler to prioritize Nodes having larger storage capacity.
- Volume metrics: Usage stats are exported as Prometheus metrics from
- Volume Expansion: Volumes can be expanded by editing
- Storage capacity tracking: You can enable Storage Capacity Tracking mode instead of using topolvm-scheduler.
- Snapshot: When we want it.
- Pod security policy support is deprecated and will be removed when TopoLVM removes the support of Kubernetes < v1.25. This policy is same as Kubernetes.
If you have any questions or ideas, please use discussions.
docs directory contains the user manual, designs and specifications, and so on.
A diagram of components is available in docs/design.md.
TopoLVM maintainers presented the motivation and implementation of TopoLVM at KubeCon Europe 2020: https://kccnceu20.sched.com/event/ZerD
This project is licensed under Apache License 2.0.