What's new in Tornado 3.1
Jun 15, 2013
- Many reference cycles have been broken up throughout the package, allowing for more efficient garbage collection on CPython.
- Silenced some log messages when connections are opened and immediately closed (i.e. port scans), or other situations related to closed connections.
- Various small speedups: .HTTPHeaders case normalization, .UIModule proxy objects, precompile some regexes.
- ~tornado.auth.OAuthMixin always sends
oauth_version=1.0in its request as required by the spec.
- ~tornado.auth.FacebookGraphMixin now uses
self._FACEBOOK_BASE_URLin ~.FacebookGraphMixin.facebook_request to allow the base url to be overridden.
authorize_redirectmethods in the tornado.auth mixin classes all now return Futures. These methods are asynchronous in .OAuthMixin and derived classes, although they do not take a callback. The .Future these methods return must be yielded if they are called from a function decorated with .gen.coroutine (but not .gen.engine).
- .TwitterMixin now uses
/account/verify_credentialsto get information about the logged-in user, which is more robust against changing screen names.
demosdirectory (in the source distribution) has a new
- .url_escape and .url_unescape have a new
plusargument (defaulting to True for consistency with the previous behavior) which specifies whether they work like urllib.parse.unquote or urllib.parse.unquote_plus.
- Fixed a potential memory leak with long chains of tornado.gen coroutines.
- tornado.httpclient.HTTPRequest takes a new argument
auth_mode, which can be either
digest. Digest authentication is only supported with
tornado.curl_httpclientno longer goes into an infinite loop when pycurl returns a negative timeout.
curl_httpclientnow supports the
OPTIONSmethods without the use of
- Worked around a class of bugs in libcurl that would result in errors from .IOLoop.update_handler in various scenarios including digest authentication and socks proxies.
TCP_NODELAYflag is now set when appropriate in
simple_httpclientno longer logs exceptions, since those exceptions are made available to the caller as
- tornado.httpserver.HTTPServer handles malformed HTTP headers more gracefully.
- .HTTPServer now supports lists of IPs in
X-Forwarded-For(it chooses the last, i.e. nearest one).
- Memory is now reclaimed promptly on CPython when an HTTP request fails because it exceeded the maximum upload size.
TCP_NODELAYflag is now set when appropriate in .HTTPServer.
- The .HTTPServer
no_keep_aliveoption is now respected with HTTP 1.0 connections that explicitly pass
Connection: keep-alivecheck for HTTP 1.0 connections is now case-insensitive.
- The str and repr of
tornado.httpserver.HTTPRequestno longer include the request body, reducing log spam on errors (and potential exposure/retention of private data).
- The cache used in .HTTPHeaders will no longer grow without bound.
- Some .IOLoop implementations (such as
pyzmq) accept objects other than integer file descriptors; these objects will now have their
.close()method called when the
IOLoop` is closed with ``all_fds=True.
- The stub handles left behind by .IOLoop.remove_timeout will now get cleaned up instead of waiting to expire.
- Fixed a bug in .BaseIOStream.read_until_close that would sometimes cause data to be passed to the final callback instead of the streaming callback.
- The .IOStream close callback is now run more reliably if there is
an exception in
- New method .BaseIOStream.set_nodelay can be used to set the
- Fixed a case where errors in
SimpleAsyncHTTPClient) were not being reported correctly.
- .Locale.format_date now works on Python 3.
- The default .Resolver implementation now works on Solaris.
- .Resolver now has a ~.Resolver.close method.
- Fixed a potential CPU DoS when
tornado.netutil.ssl_match_hostnameis used on certificates with an abusive wildcard pattern.
- All instances of .ThreadedResolver now share a single thread pool,
whose size is set by the first one to be created (or the static
- .ExecutorResolver is now documented for public use.
- .bind_sockets now works in configurations with incomplete IPv6 support.
- tornado.options.define with
multiple=Truenow works on Python 3.
- tornado.options.options and other .OptionParser instances support some new dict-like methods: ~.OptionParser.items(), iteration over keys, and (read-only) access to options with square braket syntax. .OptionParser.group_dict returns all options with a given group name, and .OptionParser.as_dict returns all options.
- tornado.process.Subprocess no longer leaks file descriptors into the child process, which fixes a problem in which the child could not detect that the parent process had closed its stdin pipe.
- .Subprocess.set_exit_callback now works for subprocesses created
without an explicit
- tornado.stack_context has been rewritten and is now much faster.
- New function .run_with_stack_context facilitates the use of stack contexts with coroutines.
- The constructors of .TCPServer and .HTTPServer now take a
- Some internal names used by the template system have been changed;
now all "reserved" names in templates start with
- tornado.testing.AsyncTestCase.wait now raises the correct exception when it has been modified by tornado.stack_context.
- tornado.testing.gen_test can now be called as
@gen_test(timeout=60)to give some tests a longer timeout than others.
- The environment variable
ASYNC_TEST_TIMEOUTcan now be set to override the default timeout for .AsyncTestCase.wait and .gen_test.
- .bind_unused_port now passes
0as the port to
getaddrinfo, which works better with some unusual network configurations.
- tornado.util.import_object now works with top-level module names that do not contain a dot.
- tornado.util.import_object now consistently raises ImportError instead of AttributeError when it fails.
handlerslist passed to the tornado.web.Application constructor and ~tornado.web.Application.add_handlers methods can now contain lists in addition to tuples and ~tornado.web.URLSpec objects.
- tornado.web.StaticFileHandler now works on Windows when the client
If-Modified-Sincetimestamp before 1970.
- New method .RequestHandler.log_exception can be overridden to
customize the logging behavior when an exception is uncaught. Most
apps that currently override
_handle_request_exceptioncan now use a combination of .RequestHandler.log_exception and .write_error.
- .RequestHandler.get_argument now raises .MissingArgumentError (a subclass of tornado.web.HTTPError, which is what it raised previously) if the argument cannot be found.
- .Application.reverse_url now uses .url_escape with
plus=False, i.e. spaces are encoded as
- Arguments extracted from the url path are now decoded with
plus=False, so plus signs are left as-is instead of being turned into spaces.
- .RequestHandler.send_error will now only be called once per request, even if multiple exceptions are caught by the stack context.
- The tornado.web.asynchronous decorator is no longer necessary for methods that return a .Future (i.e. those that use the .gen.coroutine or .return_future decorators)
- .RequestHandler.prepare may now be asynchronous if it returns a
.Future. The ~tornado.web.asynchronous decorator is not used with
prepare; one of the .Future-related decorators should be used instead.
RequestHandler.current_usermay now be assigned to normally.
- .RequestHandler.redirect no longer silently strips control characters and whitespace. It is now an error to pass control characters, newlines or tabs.
- .StaticFileHandler has been reorganized internally and now has additional extension points that can be overridden in subclasses.
- .StaticFileHandler now supports HTTP
Rangerequests. .StaticFileHandler is still not suitable for files too large to comfortably fit in memory, but
Rangesupport is necessary in some browsers to enable seeking of HTML5 audio and video.
- .StaticFileHandler now uses longer hashes by default, and uses the same
Etagas it does for versioned urls.
- .StaticFileHandler.make_static_url and .RequestHandler.static_url
now have an additional keyword argument
include_versionto suppress the url versioning.
- .StaticFileHandler now reads its file in chunks, which will reduce memory fragmentation.
- Fixed a problem with the
Dateheader and cookie expiration dates when the system locale is set to a non-english configuration.
- .WebSocketHandler now catches .StreamClosedError and runs ~.WebSocketHandler.on_close immediately instead of logging a stack trace.
- New method .WebSocketHandler.set_nodelay can be used to set the
- Fixed an exception in .WSGIContainer when the connection is closed while output is being written.