Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 31 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Knowledge: What Is Artificial Intelligence?
Students should know that:
Artificial intelligence is a branch of computer science.
Artificial intelligence is concerned with getting computers to do things that normally require human intelligence, such as understanding language or driving a car.
Artificial intelligence has several subdisciplines, including:
- Computer vision
- Speech recognition
- Machine learning
- Natural language understanding
- Knowledge representation
- Planning / optimization
- Game playing
- Automated reasoning / theorem proving
- Artificial intelligence has had great success in narrow domains such as chess, but computers are not yet capable of the kind of general intelligence that humans exhibit.
- Computers do not yet "think" the way people do. Whether they ever will is an unsettled question.
- Today's robots typically include some forms of artificial intelligence, but they are not conscious or self-aware. Robots with human-like intelligence exist today only in science fiction stories.