Data Carpentry data
This directory contains the datasets used as examples for the lessons in the datacarpentry/lessons directory. Here is a list of the subdirectories and contents.
Example data from the biological sciences.
Publication: Bahlai, C.A., Schaafsma, A.W., Lagos, D., Voegtlin, D., Smith, J.L., Welsman, J.A., Xue, Y., DiFonzo, C., Hallett, R.H., 2014. Factors inducing migratory forms of soybean aphid and an examination of North American spatial dynamics of this species in the context of migratory behavior. Agriculture and Forest Entomology. 16, 240-250 http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/afe.12051
Downloaded from: http://lter.kbs.msu.edu/datatables/122
Used in: Excel lessons (datacarpentry/lessons/excel/ecology-examples)
- Master_suction_trap_data_list_uncleaned.csv : a pre-cleaning version of the dataset
- aphid_data_Bahlai_2014.xlsx : spreadsheet with aphid data
Portal mammals data
This is data on a small mammal community in southern Arizona over the last 35 years. This is part of a larger project studying the effects of rodents and ants on the plant community. The rodents are sampled on a series of 24 plots, with different experimental manipulations of which rodents are allowed to access the plots.
Publication: S. K. Morgan Ernest, Thomas J. Valone, and James H. Brown. 2009. Long-term monitoring and experimental manipulation of a Chihuahuan Desert ecosystem near Portal, Arizona, USA. Ecology 90:1708.
Downloaded from: http://esapubs.org/archive/ecol/E090/118/
Used in: excel, shell, R, python and SQL lessons
- plots.csv : a list of the experimental plot IDs and descriptions
- species.csv : a list of the two-letter species code and information about the species
- surveys.csv : the full list of observations of species on plots
- surveys-exercise-extract_month.csv : a small subset of the surveys data used in one of the excel lessons
- portal_mammals.sqlite : a SQLite database of the mammal data; incorporates plots.csv, species.csv and surveys.csv
Data used in lessons aimed at text-mining in the social sciences.
Full-text of several articles from PLOS ONE, PLOS Computational Biology, and PLOS Biology.
Downloaded from: http://www.plosone.org/
Used in: text-mining R lesson in lessons/R/materials/08-text_mining-R
- plos_1.txt: DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0059813
- plos_2.txt: DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0001248
- plos_3.txt: DOI:10.1371/annotation/69333ae7-757a-4651-831c-f28c5eb02120
- plos_4.txt: DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0080763
- plos_5.txt: DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0102437
- plos_6.txt: DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0017342
- plos_7.txt: DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0092931
- plos_8.txt: DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0091497
- plos_9.txt: DOI:10.1371/annotation/28ac6052-4f87-4b88-a817-0cd5743e83d6
- plos_10.txt: DOI:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1003594
- plos_11.txt: DOI:10.1371/journal.pbio.002007
- plos_12.txt: DOI:10.1371/journal.pbio.1001702
- plos_13.txt: DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0054689
- plos_14.txt: DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0074321
- plos_15.txt: DOI:10.1371/journal.pbio.1001248
- plos_16.txt: DOI:10.1371/journal.pbio.0000073
- plos_17.txt: DOI:10.1371/annotation/bb686276-234c-4881-bcd5-5051d0e66bfc
- plos_18.txt: DOI:10.1371/journal.pbio.1001896
- plos_19.txt: DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0099750
- plos_20.txt: DOI:10.1371/annotation/48e29578-a073-42e7-bca4-2f96a5998374
Sample data for data cleaning exercises. Includes the words spoken by characters of different races and gender in the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy.
Publication: J.R.R. Tolkien. The Lord of the Rings. Ballantine Books, New York. Copyright 1954-1974. Volume I. The Fellowship of the Ring. Volume II. The Two Towers. Volume III. The Return of the King.
Used in: data-tidying R lesson in lessons/tidy-data
- Male.csv: the word counts for male characters in LOTR
- Female.csv: the word counts for female characters in LOTR
- The_Fellowship_Of_The_Ring.csv: word counts in FOTR
- The_Return_Of_The_King.csv: word counts in ROTK
- The_Two_Towers.csv: word counts in TT
- lotr_clean.tsv: original data in tidy form
- lotr_tidy.tsv: the multi-film, tidy dataset generated at the end of the lessons