This repository contains the code for the Cloud Controller. The NG signifies that this is a "next generation" component and this is not backward-compatible with the original cloud_controller. This version adds significant new functionality including the additional manditory constructs of the "organization" and "space" heirarchy that all users, applications and services must use.
The Cloud Controller itself is written in Ruby and provides the public API endpoint for Cloud Foundry that reads and writes in the system. The Cloud Controller maintains a database with tables for orgs, spaces, apps, services, service instances, user roles, and more.
The Cloud Controller database has been tested with Postgres or MySQL.
The Cloud Controller manages a blob store for:
- resources - files that are uploaded to the Cloud Controller with a unique SHA such that they can be reused without re-uploading the file
- app packages - unstaged files that represent an application
- droplets - the result of taking an app package and staging it (processesing a buildpack) and getting it ready to run
The blob store uses FOG such that it can use abstractions like s3 or a local file system mounted by NFS.
The Cloud Controller interacts with other components using the NATS messaging bus.
- Instructs a DEA to stage an application (processes a buildpack for the app) to prepare it to run
- Instructs a DEA to start or stop an application
- Receives information from the Health Manager about applications
- Subscribes to Service Gateways that advertise available services
- Instructs Service Gateways to handle provisioning, unprovision, bind and unbind operations for services