TYPEMILL is a small flat file cms designed for writers. It creates websites based on markdown files and can be used for manuals, documentations, web-books and similar publications. The website http://typemill.net itself is an example-website for TYPEMILL.
- Creates a website based on markdown files.
- Ships with a fully responsive standard theme.
- Works with a natural folder and file structure (like on your file-system).
- Creates a navigation, a breadcrumb and a pagination based on your file structure.
- Creates chapter numbers.
- Creates SEO-friendly urls.
- Supports configurable themes and plugins.
- Provides an author panel to configure the system, the themes and the plugins.
- Creates and manages users.
- Provides a basic online editing (only for existing files so far, in development).
- Markdown supports table of contents (TOC), tables, footnotes, abbreviations and definition lists.
- Supports MathJax and KaTeX (plugin).
- Supports code highlighting (plugin).
- Supports Matomo/Piwik and Google Analytics (plugin).
- Supports Cookie Consent (plugin).
Download TYPEMILL from the TYPEMILL website, unzip the files and you are done.
If you are a developer, you can also clone this repository. To do so, open your git command line (e.g. gitbash), go to your project folder (e.g. htdocs) and type:
git clone git://github.com/trendschau/typemill.git
The GitHub-version has no vendor-folder, so you have to update and include all libraries and dependencies with composer. To do so, open your command line, go to your TYPEMILL folder and type:
If you did not use composer before, please go to the composer website and start to learn.
To run TYPEMILL on a live system, simply upload the files to your server.
Please go to
your-typemill-website.com/setup, create an initial user and then setup your system in the author panel.
You can find your login screen under
/tm/login or simply go to
/setup and you will be redirected to the login-page.
Your server should run with PHP 5.6 or newer. No database is required.
You can read the full documentation for writers, for theme developers and for plugin developers on the TYPEMILL website.
Typemill is still in an early stage and contributions are highly welcome. Here are some ideas for non-coder:
- Find bugs and errors (open a new issue on github for it).
- Improve the documentation.
- Describe some missing features and explain, why they are important for other users.
Some ideas for devs (please fork this repository make your changes and create a pull request):
- Fix a bug.
- Create a nice theme.
- Create a new plugin.
- Improve the CSS-code with BEM and make it modular.
- Rebuild the theme with css-grid.
- Improve accessibility of html and css.
- Help to establish autotests with selenium or cypress.
- Write unit-tests.
For hints, questions, problems and support, please open up a new issue on GitHub.
TYPEMILL is published under MIT licence. Please check the licence of the included libraries, too.