screenFetch - The Bash Screenshot Information Tool
What is screenFetch?
screenFetch is a "Bash Screenshot Information Tool". This handy Bash script can be used to generate one of those nifty terminal theme information + ASCII distribution logos you see in everyone's screenshots nowadays. It will auto-detect your distribution and display an ASCII version of that distribution's logo and some valuable information to the right. There are options to specify no ascii art, colors, taking a screenshot upon displaying info, and even customizing the screenshot command! This script is very easy to add to and can easily be extended.
How do I get screenFetch?
screenfetchfrom the AUR. That's it!
- Install screenfetch from the official repositories with urpmi or rpmdrake. e.g. # urpmi screenfetch
Gentoo or Sabayon
- Emerge screenfetch from portage using
- Sabayon users can install screenfetch from entropy using 'equo install screenfetch'
- Download the latest source. Found at http://git.silverirc.com/cgit.cgi/screenfetch.git/plain/screenfetch-dev
- In a terminal, make the file executable by doing the following:
chmod +x /path/to/screenfetch/screenfetch-dev
- Then, either keep it there, or move it to somewhere in your $PATH to make it available without having to use the full path to the script.
To run screenFetch, open a terminal of some sort and type in the command
or wherever you saved the script to. This will generate an ascii logo with the
information printed to the side of the logo. There are some options that may be
specifiedon the command line, and those are shown below or by executing
-v Verbose output. -n Do no display ASCII distribution logo. -s Using this flag tells the script that you want it to take a screenshot. -l Specify that you have a light background. This turns all white text into dark gray text (in ascii logos and in information output). -c 'COMMAND' Here you can specify a custom screenshot command for the script to execute. Surrounding quotes are required. -D 'DISTRO' Here you can specify your distribution for the script to use. Surrounding quotes are required. -V Display current script version. -h Display this help.
If you would like to suggest something new, inform me of an issue in the
script, become part of the project, or talk to me about anything else,
you can either email me at
kittykattATkittykattDOTus or you can connect
to my IRC server on SilverIRC at irc://kittykatt.silverirc.com/me0wz