TubePress Development Environment
The TubePress Development Environment (
tubepress/dev-environment) is a turnkey virtual machine designed for
TubePress development and testing.
How to Use
On your local machine, you'll need recent versions of the following software:
These packages are all free, open source, and lightweight. Please ensure that you have everything installed before proceeding.
- Start with any local operating system such as Mac OS X, Linux, or Windows.
- Clone or extract this repository into a local directory
git clone git://github.com/tubepress/dev-environment tubepress-dev-environment
- In a command prompt, change into the
- Start the Vagrant environment with
- On your first run, this will take a while (between 5 and 20 minutes, depending on your host machine). Enjoy
a beverage while you wait.
- As the script ends, as an administrator or
supassword will likely be required to properly modify the hosts file on your local machine.
- On your first run, this will take a while (between 5 and 20 minutes, depending on your host machine). Enjoy a beverage while you wait.
- With your favorite web browser, visit http://tubepress-test.com. If everything went right,
you should see the following page:
What Did That Do?
The first time you run
vagrant up, a virtual machine with Ubuntu 14.04 is downloaded to your local
machine and cached for future use. Once booted, Vagrant uses Puppet to provision the machine with the required software
On future runs of
vagrant up, Vagrant will only need to apply the requested provisioning and the boot process will
take just a few seconds.
Now that you're up and running, start poking around and modifying things.
- Access the server via the command line with
vagrant sshfrom your
tubepress-dev-environment/src/vagrantdirectory. You can do almost anything you would do with a standard Ubuntu installation on a full server.
- Power off the box with
vagrant haltand turn it back on with
- Suspend the box's state in memory with
vagrant suspendand bring it right back with
- Every once in a while, reapply provisioning to a running box with
- Destroy the box with