01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 01000011 01101100 01101111 01100011 01101011 ______ _ _____ _ _ | ___ (_) / __ \ | | | | |_/ /_ _ __ __ _ _ __ _ _ | / \/ | ___ ___| | __ | ___ \ | '_ \ / _` | '__| | | | | | | |/ _ \ / __| |/ / | |_/ / | | | | (_| | | | |_| | | \__/\ | (_) | (__| < \____/|_|_| |_|\__,_|_| \__, | \____/_|\___/ \___|_|\_\ __/ | |___/
Originally made for Arduino controller in my Wooden Bits project, this is a binary clock for WS2812 LEDS that scales to any size pixel matrix. It includes a function for generating the 'snakes and ladders' arrangment of pixels, which can be used as a map reference for other functions.
- Version for Arduino/Atmega328 and Raspberry Pi.
- Scales to any size WS2812 matrix.
- Ability to rotate display.
- Ability to set second indicator pulsing.
- Quarter hour indicator fills n/quarter rows of the display blue (n is the quater multiple).
- Full rainbow at midday and midnight.
setMatrixfor sending any binary size to display; not just time.
initMatrixMapfor creating lookup map of disaply.
For more details, see my blog post: http://wp.me/p2C0Bi-7R
- Arduino/atmega328 or Raspberry Pi.
- Pixel grid, user created or Adafruit NeoPixel, Pimoroni Unicorn Hat. Should be connected to pin 6 on Arduino or pin 18 on rPi by default.
- For Arduino you'll need a DS1307RTC/DS3231RTC chip, already set with the time (see library page).
- Adafruit NeoPixel: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_NeoPixel
- DS1307RTC RTC: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_DS1307RTC.html
Compile using the Arduino IDE or using the Makefile. Using the makefile reqruies 'Arduino.mk': https://github.com/sudar/Arduino-Makefile
Set the number of pixels in each row and column in 'bClock.h'. The clock will automatically scale the binary bits to the pixel grid - thanks to the pixelMap generation.
You can defined a flash on seconds 'pulse_second', rotated display 'rotate' and brightness
make then run
sudo ./bClock [brightness] [pulse_second] [rotate]. Designed for Raspberry Pi
and Pimoroni Unicorn Hat but code can scale to any size matrix.
pixelMap generator is useful for
other functions other than this code.
Compile within Open SCAD and export as .dxf. The comments explain how to export the various different layout options. The designs are supplied for personal use only under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Adafruit NeoPixel library: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_NeoPixel
- Unicorn Hat Driver: https://github.com/pimoroni/UnicornHat/tree/master/c/unicorn
- WS2812 Driver: https://github.com/626Pilot/RaspberryPi-NeoPixel-WS2812
Attribution and License
I make many of my projects Open Source so others can learn as I have, but please remember to follow the license terms and attribute any derivations or code reuse. You can do this by linking back to the project or jbrengineering.co.uk. Feel free to click the donate button above if you do use the source :).