Turing Career Development Pre-Work - Mod 0 Capstone
Developing Mindsets to Succeed
Our mission is to unlock human potential by training a diverse, inclusive student body to succeed in high-fulfillment technical careers.
When you're transitioning careers, often many other aspects of your approach to work and life undergo a transition as well. Turing aims to be a place where you can work through these transitions successfully. While enrolled at Turing and during your subsequent job search, you'll be provided with tools and strategies to develop the professional skills necessary to enter a new career as a software developer.
The pre-work for career development is focused on introducing you to a set of mindsets that we at Turing believe will make you a successful programmer. These mindsets are:
- Agency: Taking initiative and ownership over your learning and work
- Empathy: Understanding and sharing others' emotions in order to relate to them
- Engagement: Active participation in community
- Grit: A combination of perseverance and passion
- Growth: A belief that your abilities can be developed through dedication, hard work, and resiliency
Your Gear Up pre-work is focused on Empathy, so that is not a focus of this pre-work while the other four mindsets will be introduced to you here. Your objectives in this pre-work are to:
- Understand the non-coding aspects that go into being a successful programmer
- Reflect on your current mindsets and build an understanding of new or differing mindsets
- Understand a strengths-based approach to development
- Begin analyzing how your strengths apply to your development at Turing
Introduction to Strengths-based Development
One tool we'll be using for your professional development at Turing is the Pairin Survey. This survey measures over 100 coachable and changeable skills. This activity invites you to begin building an understanding of how learning about and developing your strengths applies to your success in your new career. We will discuss the results of this survey more in-depth in your first professional development session at Turing. Follow the steps below to fulfill this part of the prework:
Step 1: Take the survey using this link. It will prompt you to create an account when you take it. There are 2 sections for this survey:
- First section: Choose adjectives to answer how you currently are
- Second section: Choose adjectives to answer how you would like to be. The second section is marked as "optional," but it is highly recommended that you fill out this section in order to provide more data for you on how you'd like to grow.
The survey should take you about 15-20 minutes.
Step 2: Read this post and watch this video to start building an understanding of your Pairin results (5 minutes total):
Step 3: Please respond to the following questions in a reflection (4-6 sentences):
- What is your greatest strength and how do you know?
- How do you work best?
- What is your greatest area of improvement?
- How do you hope to maximize your strengths for your new career in software development?
- How might knowing about your strengths and working preferences benefit you as a software developer?
Please put your reflections in your PD pre-work gist that you'll submit in the survey here
Optional further reading: