Autosmush is a command line tool which scans an Amazon S3 bucket and losslessly compresses your images using Yahoo!'s amazing Smush.it web service. It also adds a far-future expires header on your images to aid in browser caching as recommended by YSlow.
Autosmush can be run manually or as a cron job. It avoids re-smushing images by checking for an 'x-amz-smushed' HTTP header on already processed images.
- Smushed images are automatically re-uploaded into S3
- Avoids re-smushing images, so future runs take less time
- Pass the '-t' parameter to do a dry-run and see how much space you could be saving
- Adds far future expiration header to each file
- Prints a summary of total bytes saved when complete
- Requires PHP5 and php_curl extension.
- Requires the 1.6.x AWS SDK for PHP. (Download and install instructions are located inside autosmush.)
Code is hosted at GitHub: http://github.com/tylerhall/autosmush
The MIT License
Copyright (c) 2010 Tyler Hall
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.