TYPEMILL is a small flat file cms created for editors and writers. It provides a author-friendly dashboard and a visual-block-editor for markdown based on vue.js. Use TYPEMILL for manuals, documentations, web-books and similar publications. The website http://typemill.net itself is an example-website for TYPEMILL.
- Creates a website based on markdown files.
- Provides a author-friendly visual markdown editor (experimental, based on VUE.js).
- Provides a pure markdown editing mode.
- Markdown supports table of contents (TOC), tables, footnotes, abbreviations and definition lists.
- Create and sort pages with drag & drop in the navigation.
- Configure the system, the themes and the plugins in the dashboard.
- Create and manage users.
- Develop configurable plugins with the Symfony Event Dispatcher.
- Develop configurable themes with TWIG.
- Allows super easy backend and frontend forms with simple YAML-definitions.
- Ships with a fully responsive standard theme
- Ships with plugins for
- MathJax and KaTeX, c.
- code highlighting.
- Matomo/Piwik and Google Analytics.
- Cookie Consent.
- PHP 7+
- Apache server
- mod_rewrite and htaccess
If you run a linux system, then please double check that mod_rewrite and htaccess are active!!!
Download TYPEMILL from the TYPEMILL website, unzip the files and you are done.
If you are a developer, you can also clone this repository. To do so, open your command line, go to your project folder (e.g. htdocs) and type:
git clone git://github.com/trendschau/typemill.git
The GitHub-version has no vendor-folder, so you have to update and include all libraries and dependencies with composer. To do so, open your command line, go to your TYPEMILL folder and type:
If you did not use composer before, please go to the composer website and start to learn.
To run TYPEMILL on a live system, simply upload the files to your server
Make Folders Writable.
Make sure that the following folders and all their content are writable (permission 774 recursively):
You can use your ftp-software for that.
Please go to
your-typemill-website.com/setup, create an initial user and then setup your system in the author panel.
You can find your login screen under
/tm/login or simply go to
/setup and you will be redirected to the login-page.
You can read the full documentation for writers, for theme developers and for plugin developers on the TYPEMILL website.
Typemill is still in an early stage and contributions are highly welcome. Here are some ideas for non-coder:
- Find bugs and errors (open a new issue on github for it).
- Improve the documentation.
- Describe some missing features and explain, why they are important for other users.
- Write a blog post about typemill.
Some ideas for devs (please fork this repository make your changes and create a pull request):
- Fix a bug.
- Create a nice theme.
- Create a new plugin.
- Improve the CSS-code with BEM or utility-css (e.g. Tailwind) and make it modular.
- Rebuild the theme with the new css-grid feature.
- Improve the accessibility of html and css.
- Help to establish autotests with selenium or cypress.
- Write unit-tests.
- Write an auto-update functionality.
For hints, questions, problems and support, please open up a new issue on GitHub.
TYPEMILL is published under MIT licence. Please check the licence of the included libraries, too.