Open WordPress SEO
This is the open-source SEO Plugin For WordPress - a free alternative to the most popular SEO plugins in the market. It packs all the important features and is easy to use.
Download & Install
The latest version can be installed in two ways:
- Automatically install from WordPress plugins directory
- Go to Plugins → Add new on your WordPress control panel. Search for Open WordPress SEO and click Install now.
- Manually Download the Package and Install
- Free download is available via WordPress.org plugins portal. Download the .zip file and extract the folder to your plugins directory. Then activate the plugin on control panel's Installed Plugins section.
After activation it is recommended to setup the plugin options by going to Settings -> Open WordPress SEO. It only takes a couple of minutes and is well worth it.
The plugin offers you the possibility to easily manipulate important metadata, gain insight to the SEO status of various aspects of your site and how improve them. In addition, the plugin automatically performs grunt operations that are vital for good SEO, such as sitemap creation and pinging.
- Possibility to set post and page meta titles and descriptions either for any post type or specifically for individual posts.
- Generates meta description and keywords automatically when needed.
- Automatically creates an XML sitemap of your content.
- Notifies Bing and Google about updates on your site.
- Applies compression for content to speed up download times.
- Creates Open Graph tags so your content appears correctly in Facebook.
- Does not support WordPress Multisite installs.
- Automatically creates an image sitemap for Bing and Google.
- Sets canonical URLs also for tags and categories.
- Support for custom post types.
- Possible to set whether or not to index tags, categories, and archives.
- Deny single pages or posts from showing up in search results.
- Support for multiple languages, easy to translate.
- Displays SEO status on the admin dashboard and post listings.
- Google Analytics visitor tracking support.
- ... and other features.
Contribution is very welcome. Please see open issues. However, contact tzri before coding new features and tell what you are planning. That way they are more likely to be accepted.