- 100 years ago there was little medical knowledge
- "If the cause has been discovered, then there is hope for a cure"
- Cancer causes 1 in 4 deaths in our country
- Over the last century we have developed a theory about what causes cancer, the 'Genetic Theory'
- For 30 years we thought that the only way to defeat cancer was to kill the cancer cells
- Developing a drug is really expensive (500mil - 1Bil) and a 1 in 10 chance of being successful
- Cancer is like a thermostat that is 'stuck on'
Glevac - targeted the cause of the growth of the leukemia
- Thousands of places where a cell can break and Glevac targeted only one of these
- Glevac works for 10 different cancers
Figure out why and how a cancer is broken and fix the broken part
- Do this by sequencing a cancer's DNA and look for broken parts