Columbo: word detective
Bookmarklet to search text on a page.
- Highlight several search terms on any html document.
- Highlights text similar to google's page cache (different color per word)
- Returns a count of each search terms occurrence -- feature not yet available
- Saves sets of search terms for later use -- feature being developed
drag this link: columbo to your bookmarks
bundle install rackup # fires up the webserver on 0.0.0.0:9292
Bookmarklets are typically a pain to develop, but
will load the css and js from either a production server or 0.0.0.0:9292. This allows us to
upgrade functionality without requiring users to install a new bookmarklet.
However, this is basically cross-site scripting (XSS) and browsers are moving towards
shutting this behavior down. Making this code into a browser extension would be ideal,
but I'm not sure if using
columbo_loader.js to load css and js from 3rd parties
- redesigned bookmarklet does not drag to FF bookmarks toolbar
- test on ie(doesn't work) and chrome(works!)