Umple Modelling Language
This is the main project for various Umple subprojects and components.
Umple is a model-oriented programming technology. It allows developers to embed modelling concepts (e.g. associations, state machines), patterns and other abstractions in traditional code, and vice versa. It generates high quality code for Java, C++ and PhP (and can be embedded in or embed these), as well as diagrams, metrics and many other artifacts.
The project homepage is located at http://umple.org/
Umple is developed in itself, guaranteeing robustness, hence the Umple compiler has to be distributed with the source (in the releases directory).
Development follows a model-driven, test-driven, agile, continuous-integration process. Umple is hosted currently on Github at http://code.umple.org. It was first released in 2007, and the master was on Google Code from 2011 to 2015.
Umple has been largely developed as a research project at the University of Ottawa, Canada, by numerous PhD and masters students, Many undergraduates from across Canada and the USA have also contributed. See the license file for the list of contributors.
More details can be found as follows
- Umple home page: http://www.umple.org
- Umple user manual: http://manual.umple.org
- Download page: http://dl.umple.org
- Live diagram of the metamodel: http://metamodel.umple.org
- Architecture: http://architecture.umple.org
The umple project is split into many smaller subproject, the folder hierarchy is explained below to better describe the structure.
- Ant build scripts and related information
cruise.umple/ Umple compiler
- See its own ReadMe.txt for further details
- See also UmpleTo* below for additional compiler components
cruise.umple.eclipse/, cruise.umple.xtext.ui/ Eclipse plugins
cruise.umplificator Converting outside code to Umple
- cruise.umple.validator Validates umple when umplifying
cruise.umple.nebula Infrastructure used for real-time C++
dev-tools Tooling for Umple developers
dist Build produced items, only available after building
- libs/ Managed build dependencies that umple.jar require to run*
- cruise.umple/reference User manual
- qa/ Test reports
- umple.jar Command-line Compiler
- umpledocs.jar User manual generator
- umplestats.jar Statistics generation
- umplesync.jar UmpleOnline tool to to synchronize graphical form
- vml.jar * Extension for variability modeling*
examples/ Developer curated examples
externalexamples/ External projects that are used for testing
ExternalTextEditorPlugins Plugins for external editors, Notepad++, etc
sandbox What is this?
testbed/, testbed_php/, testbed_ruby/ Test suites for Java, Php and Ruby respectively
- UmpleToJava/ Code generation for Java
- UmpleToPhp/ Code generation for Php
- UmpleToRuby/ Code generation for Ruby
- UmpleToRTCpp/ *Code generation for Real-time C++ *
UmpleToCpp/*Code generation for alternative C++ - historical; to be deleted
- UmpleToSDL/ Code generation to convert Umple to SDL
- UmpleToSql/ Code generation SQL from Umple models
UmpleToTemplate/ Template for creating new code generation subprojects
umpleonline/ The UmpleOnline web application
- UmpleOnline allows generation of code from Umple directly in a web browser, and also editing of Umple both graphically and textually. Available at http://try.umple.org
Umplificator/ Reverse engineer code to Umple
umplificatoronline/ Online tool for converting code to Umple
umpleUI/ Projects for the UIGU tooling
- Projects for generating a UI through UIGU from Umple. These need work to incorporate them into UmpleOnline
umplewww/ Core files from the Umple.org web pages
- Includes items such as the user manual that are moved at build time into the appropriate place