Join GitHub today
Each UCOSP participant is asked to log all the steps they take as they make progress through the semester. This includes difficulties they faced (getting set up, understanding how to model in Umple, using UmpleOnline, code that is difficult to figure out, and development tools that are hard to figure out, or don't seem to work properly). The more log entries added the more we can better get a grip on the usability issues with Umple, and the more we can help future new contributors come up to speed.
Please record entries in reverse chronological order
September 7, 2017
- Skimmed through the umple user manual and tried different uml concepts on umple online tool to generate uml diagrams, java and c++ code. Code generated compiled with no issues.
- Skimmed through the rest of the material pointed out.
September 13, 2017
- Worked on learning the umple syntax.
- Built a toy project and compiled it successfully using the command line tool, generating java code that run with no problems.
September 14, 2017
Development set up
- cloned the umple repo and did a local build on my machine running Ubuntu 16.04 , Build was successful with no issues. Umple executable worked as expected with no issues.
- Explored open issues on github.
September 18, 2017 - September 20, 2017
- Explored the code base and familiarised myself with the architecture.
September 22,2017 - September 24, 2017
- Started work on issue#322.
- Explored how the grammar, parser and code generator work and started expanding them to support the new feature.
September 26, 2017 - September 29, 2017
- Noticed that removing const from attribute grammar caused test cases to fail. The parser was not picking up the internal keyword in the constant declaration in the way I defined it.
- Redefined the grammar and changed the parser to fix the issue pointed out above.
- Tested the use case and it was satisfied. Created a pull request for Issue#322.
October 3, 2017 - October 5, 2017
- Was assigned the project of migrating the build system to Gradle.
- Fixed merge conflicts and some other issues( some test cases where failing ) with pull request.
- Started familiarising myself with Gradle.
October 26, 2017 - October 28, 2017
- worked on adding requested test case for the pull request.
- Added test case for code generation for Issue#322, Test case passed on full build.
Nov 4 - Nov 5
- Refactored the compiler to use "internal const" wherever "private static final" occurs.
- Build failed. Problem is with "Token.isValidIdentifier"
- Worked on resolving the problem with no success.