RapidSMS Education Monitoring Information System (RapidSMS-EMIS)
The school monitoring system is a mobile-phone based data collection system using RapidSMS that collects data about schools from school administrators and people who work closely with schools. Head teachers and other administrators who work closely with the schools send data into the system using their mobile phones based on a proposed schedule for data collection. Data is sent into the system on a regular basis like weekly for pupil attendance, monthly for reports on child abuse and termly for capitation grants made to the schools. Other data that can be collected by the education monitoring system include data on teacher attendance, presense of amenities such as hygienic facilities at schools.
Technically speaking, RapidSMS-EMIS leverages the work of rapidsms-script (github.com/daveycrockett/rapidsms-script/) to provide an easy system for automated conversation-like communication between the rapidsms-emis application, teachers and other education specialists and administrators.
Reports that are gathered include:
- Teacher and student attendance
- Classroom and latrine use
- Cases of abuse
- Python 2.7 (www.python.org/download/) : On linux machines, you can usually use your system's package manager to perform the installation
- All other python libraries will be installed as part of the setup and configuration process
- Some sort of SMS Connectivity, via an HTTP gateway. By default, Rapidsms-EMIS comes configured to work with a two-way clickatell number (see http://www.clickatell.com/downloads/http/Clickatell_HTTP.pdf and http://www.clickatell.com/downloads/Clickatell_two-way_technical_guide.pdf). Ideally, you want to obtain a local short code in your country of operation, or configure Rapidsms-EMIS to use a GSM modem (see http://docs.rapidsms.org for more information on how to do this).
git clone https://github.com/unicefuganda/edtrac cd edtrac git submodule init git submodule sync git submodule update mkvirtualenv edtrac pip install -r requirements.pip cd edtrac_project python manage.py syncdb --noinput python manage.py migrate python manage.py initialize_database python manage.py runserver
Set the environment variable
$DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE to e.g.