Eclipse Theia is an extensible platform to develop full-fledged multi-language Cloud & Desktop IDE-like products with state-of-the-art web technologies.
- Establish a platform to build IDE-like products
- Provide the end-user with a full-fledged multi-language IDE (not just a smart editor)
- Support equally the paradigm of Cloud IDE and Desktop IDE
- Provide support for multiple languages via the language and debug server protocols
Here you can find guides and examples for common scenarios:
- Run Theia in Docker
- Run Theia in Gitpod - a Theia-based IDE for GitHub
- Develop a Theia application - your own IDE
- Develop a Theia plugin - a VS Code like extension
- Develop a Theia extension
- Test a VS Code extension in Theia
- Package a desktop Theia application with Electron
Read below to learn how to take part in improving Theia:
- Fork the repository and run the examples from source
- Get familiar with the development workflow, Coding Guidelines, Code of Conduct and learn how to sign your work
- Find an issue to work on and submit a pull request
- First time contributing to open source? Pick a good first issue to get you familiar with GitHub contributing process.
- First time contributing to Theia? Pick a beginner friendly issue to get you familiar with codebase and our contributing process.
- Want to become a Committer? Solve an issue showing that you understand Theia objectives and architecture. Here is a good list to start.
- Could not find an issue? Look for bugs, typos, and missing features.
Read below how to engage with Theia community:
- Join the discussion on Spectrum.
- Ask a question, request a new feature and file a bug with GitHub issues.
- Star the repository to show your support.
- Follow Theia on Twitter.
- API Documentation
- Useful Links:
A visual debugger leveraging the Debug Server Protocol defined by the VS Code team.
A plug-in system supporting VS Code extensions.
Theia's workbench shell will be improved, such that the user can drag and drop widgets from the side bar to the main area and vice-versa.
Test Adapter Support
Integration with testing frameworks, based on a Test Adapter Protocol.
Robustness and Improved UX
We will further work on simplifying Theia and its UI / UX, improve the performance and keep working on bug reports that are rolling in.
Any contributors might want to work on additional things. At least this happened in 2017 and is likely to increase with a growing community. :)
- Eclipse Public License 2.0
- 一 (Secondary) GNU General Public License, version 2 with the GNU Classpath Exception
"Theia" is a trademark of the Eclipse Foundation https://www.eclipse.org/theia