Documentation & data for the Library of Congress American Memory Century of Lawmaking collection.
This repository is a community hub for working with the digitized early United States documents in the Library of Congress's American Memory: Century of Lawmaking collection (http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/amlaw/lawhome.html). The documents relate primarily to the United States Congress, but there are other contemporanous documents here.
From the collection:
A Century of Lawmaking for a New Nation consists of a linked set of published congressional records of the United States of America from the Continental Congress through the 43rd Congress, 1774-1875.
A select number of documents and reports from the monumental U.S. Congressional Serial Set are available as well.
Scans of the original documents (TIF/GIF/JPG), metadata (.TXT), and in some cases transcribed text (SGM) are available within each collection at http://memory.loc.gov:8081/ll/. A mirror of those files except for the images is currently also at http://www.govtrack.us/data/misc/am_mem_law_metadata.tgz (187M). (Josh has also mirrored the images in an AWS snapshot.)
Collections We've Looked At
- llsl: Statutes at Large (1789-1875)
- llhb: Bills in the House of Representatives (6th Congress-42nd Congress, 1799-1873, excluding the 12th Congress)
- llsb: Bills in the Senate (16th Congress-42nd Congress, 1819-1873)
- llsr: Senate Resolutions/Joint Resolutions (18th Congress-42nd Congress, 1823-1873, excluding the 20th and 24th Congresses)
See the subdirectories inside this repository for more information.
The collections are:
- llac: Annals of Congress (1789-1824)
- llcc: Journal of the Congress of the Confederate States of America (1861-1865)
- llcg: Congressional Globe (1833-73)
- llcr: Congressional Record (1873-75)
- lldc: United States Congressional Serial Set (50th Congress 1st Session)
- lldg: Letters of Delegates to Congress (1774-89)
- llec: Proceedings of the Electoral Commission (1877)
- lled: Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adoption of the Federal Constitution (1787-88), or Elliot's Debates
- llej: Senate Executive Journal (1789-1875)
- llfr: Records of the Federal Convention of 1787, or Farrand's Records
- llhj: Journals of the House of Representatives (1789-1875)
- lljc: Journals of the Continental Congress (1774-89)
- llmisc/awh: (unknown, but related to women's history)
- llmisc/ody: Laws in Relation to Freedmen, U.S. Senate, 39th Congress, 2nd Session
- llmj: Journal of William Maclay (1789-91), senator from Pennsylvania in the 1st Congress
- llnc: Native American Constitutions, Charters, and Bylaws
- llnt: Native American Tribal Laws, Codes, and Statutes
- llrd: Register of Debates (1824-37)
- llsc: The Slavery Code of the District of Columbia (1860)
- llsj: Journals of the Senate (1789-1875)
- llsp: American State Papers (1789-1838)
- llss: United States Serial Set
- llst: Slavery in the Courtroom, 1722-1862
- lltr: United States Treaties and Other International Agreements, 1950-
- llts: The Senate, 1789-1989
- lltw: Treaty Termination, Hearings Before the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations (1979)