Compatibility with BroadBand Hamnet v1.1.0 #33

Closed
urlgrey opened this Issue Jul 8, 2014 · 27 comments

Projects

None yet

5 participants

@urlgrey
Owner
urlgrey commented Jul 8, 2014

Check compatibility with BBHN v1.1.0

@VE2ZAZ
VE2ZAZ commented Jul 13, 2014

Hi,

I am now running the new BBHN firmware (1.1.2) on an Ubiquiti M2 Loco. I can no longer mesh the Raspberry Pi with the M2 Loco, despite changing the SSID to "BroadbandHamnet-v2" on the R-Pi. Before the upgrade, I had the Pi meshing with the M2 Loco. Just to isolate the issue, I can still mesh the Pi with a netbook running OLSRd ver 0.6.1 .

Thanks and 73.

Bert, VE2ZAZ

@mathisono
Contributor

They enabled the the olsrd.secure plugin. Edit. Edit the olsrd.config to
disable it.

73mathison
On Jul 8, 2014 10:39 AM, "Scott Kidder" notifications@github.com wrote:

Check compatibility with BBHN v1.1.0


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub
#33.

@VE2ZAZ
VE2ZAZ commented Jul 14, 2014

As a follow up, I found more info on the BBHN forum:

Two features break compatibility:

  1. OLSRd Secure
  2. OLSR Link Quality metric costs. The new version supports directly connected ethernet with a metric cost of "0.1".

Thanks,

Bert, VE2ZAZ

@mathisono
Contributor

Did my suggestion do the trick?

Im not a fan of the Nlan config single Ethernet Ubiquity units. My Managed
switch doesn't use 0 or 1 for vlan tags... could you comment on how you
have your NS m2 loco set up, ive got the same thing on my roof at 40' the 2
HSSM PIs nodes that i have are acting as gateways at the moment.

73 kj6dzb

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 7:50 PM, VE2ZAZ notifications@github.com wrote:

As a follow up, I found more info on the BBHN forum:

Two features break compatibility:

  1. OLSRd Secure
  2. OLSR Link Quality metric costs. The new version supports directly
    connected ethernet with a metric cost of "0.1".

Thanks,

Bert, VE2ZAZ


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub
#33 (comment).

@VE2ZAZ
VE2ZAZ commented Jul 15, 2014

Hi Matheson,

In the M2 Loco, I have been trying to look for a config file for olsrd and the only ones found are in /tmp/etc and in /var/etc. The files are called olsrd.conf. They show among other things:

LoadPlugin "olsrd_secure.so.0.6"
{
PlParam "keyfile" "/etc/olsrd.d/olsrd_secure_key"
}

That is the only entry related to secure. Should I delete the key file? Should I delete the entire LoadPlugin entry?

This may be outside the scope of this open issue...

Thanks,

Bert, VE2ZAZ

@mathisono
Contributor

cd etc

ls

vi olsrd.conf

just #comment out the lines as follows:

#LoadPlugin "olsrd_secure.so.0.6"
{
PlParam "keyfile" "/etc/olsrd.d/olsrd_secure_key"
}

save and Reboot!

I dislike vi , so this might help http://www.lagmonster.org/docs/vi.html. I
can install Nano until the node is connected. Im took a detour and put to
use the RPi camera and installed motion on my pi.

73 Mathison

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 5:33 PM, VE2ZAZ notifications@github.com wrote:

Hi Matheson,

In the M2 Loco, I have been trying to look for a config file for olsrd and
the only ones found are in /tmp/etc and in /var/etc. The files are called
olsrd.conf. They show among other things:

LoadPlugin "olsrd_secure.so.0.6"
{
PlParam "keyfile" "/etc/olsrd.d/olsrd_secure_key"
}

That is the only entry related to secure. Should I delete the key file?
Should I delete the entire LoadPlugin entry?

This may be outside the scope of this open issue...

Thanks,

Bert, VE2ZAZ


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub
#33 (comment).

@mathisono
Contributor

now Im confused there must be something else... my HSSM-Pi nodes see the
HSSM node, but the HSMM node doent see them?

73 Mathison

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 8:56 PM, Mathison Ott mathisono@gmail.com wrote:

cd etc

ls

vi olsrd.conf

just #comment out the lines as follows:

#LoadPlugin "olsrd_secure.so.0.6"
{
PlParam "keyfile" "/etc/olsrd.d/olsrd_secure_key"
}

save and Reboot!

I dislike vi , so this might help http://www.lagmonster.org/docs/vi.html.
I can install Nano until the node is connected. Im took a detour and put to
use the RPi camera and installed motion on my pi.

73 Mathison

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 5:33 PM, VE2ZAZ notifications@github.com wrote:

Hi Matheson,

In the M2 Loco, I have been trying to look for a config file for olsrd
and the only ones found are in /tmp/etc and in /var/etc. The files are
called olsrd.conf. They show among other things:

LoadPlugin "olsrd_secure.so.0.6"
{
PlParam "keyfile" "/etc/olsrd.d/olsrd_secure_key"
}

That is the only entry related to secure. Should I delete the key file?
Should I delete the entire LoadPlugin entry?

This may be outside the scope of this open issue...

Thanks,

Bert, VE2ZAZ


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub
#33 (comment).

@VE2ZAZ
VE2ZAZ commented Jul 15, 2014

Tried it. Same here. Pi can now see M2 Loco but does not connect. It could be that second item (OLSR Link Quality metric) that breaks compatibility.

@VE2ZAZ
VE2ZAZ commented Jul 16, 2014

I have tried something else. Enabled secure plugin 0.6 in the Pi and made the key the same as the BBHN generic one used on the M2 Loco, and it still does not connect... I think that OLSR Link Quality metric is really screwing things...

@urlgrey
Owner
urlgrey commented Jul 16, 2014

Thanks @VE2ZAZ , I'll try setting the 'LinkQualityLevel' parameter to '0' (currently '2') in the OLSRD configuration file. The value '0' should disable the use of the link-quality metric for MPR selection and routing decisions.

@W8RIK
W8RIK commented Jul 16, 2014

LinkSys with 1.1.2 never sees the Pi. The Pi sees the LinkSys WiFi IP address (not LAN IP Address or callsign) when SSID v1 changed to v2. Pi will connect to the LinkSys. Changing olsrd.key to gBpRdG7Crp5by9xw did not make a difference.

@mathisono
Contributor

cd /

cd etc

cd config

vi olsrd
##Comment out###
#config LoadPlugin
#option library 'olsrd_secure.so.0.6'
#option keyfile '/etc/olsrd.d/olsrd_secure_key'
exit and save!!

I found 2 different etc dir, one under /var and /etc/config the fie
/etc/config/olsrd controls the config of olsrd

is any one using the Vlan assignments, im planing to reconfigure the HSMM
to set the Wan to be the untagged, and set the Lan to be taged. If any one
can offer any hints before I hack the firmware to behave, as i would like.

73 Mathison

73 Mathison.

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 2:02 PM, W8RIK notifications@github.com wrote:

LinkSys with 1.1.2 never sees the Pi. The Pi sees the LinkSys WiFi IP
address (not LAN IP Address or callsign) when SSID v1 changed to v2. Pi
will connect to the LinkSys. Changing olsrd.key to gBpRdG7Crp5by9xw did not
make a difference.


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub
#33 (comment).

@VE2ZAZ
VE2ZAZ commented Jul 17, 2014

I suggest we work on HSMM-Pi to make it become compatible again with BBHN, so enable whatever is necessary on the HSMM-Pi, not disable the features on BBHN.

Thanks,

Bert, VE2ZAZ


From: mathison notifications@github.com
To: urlgrey/hsmm-pi hsmm-pi@noreply.github.com
Cc: VE2ZAZ ve2zaz@yahoo.ca
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 9:06:17 PM
Subject: Re: [hsmm-pi] Compatibility with BroadBand Hamnet v1.1.0 (#33)

cd /

cd etc

cd config

vi olsrd
##Comment out###
#config LoadPlugin
#option library 'olsrd_secure.so.0.6'
#option keyfile '/etc/olsrd.d/olsrd_secure_key'
exit and save!!

I found 2 different etc dir, one under /var and /etc/config the fie
/etc/config/olsrd controls the config of olsrd

is any one using the Vlan assignments, im planing to reconfigure the HSMM
to set the Wan to be the untagged, and set the Lan to be taged. If any one
can offer any hints before I hack the firmware to behave, as i would like.

73 Mathison

73 Mathison.

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 2:02 PM, W8RIK notifications@github.com wrote:

LinkSys with 1.1.2 never sees the Pi. The Pi sees the LinkSys WiFi IP
address (not LAN IP Address or callsign) when SSID v1 changed to v2. Pi
will connect to the LinkSys. Changing olsrd.key to gBpRdG7Crp5by9xw did not
make a difference.


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub
#33 (comment).


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub.

@mathisono
Contributor

I agree !00% All that was done to enable Compatibility in my case was to
disable olsrd_secure.so.0.6.

Im not running my mesh nodes to exclude possible nodes from making
connections. Its been made clear to me that Ecom guys want to exclude
others from there mesh networks. This may be the solution that the BBHN
group has decided on in Texas. Im in the SF bay were Im struggling get hams
that have LOS for nodes. because of this im maybe in another year I will
buy into the 900mhz Ubiquity equipment for mesh or the UDRX-440 25W 70cm
Mobile Transceiver. That down the line, and another discussion, 2.4ghz for
now. I ve heard arguments like "i dont want people sucking my bandwidth"
well I fail to understand this... Im sharing my INTERNET on good faith to
Ham to provide link state routing to the INTERNET.

This HSMM Pi project group has been EXCELLENT!! Props!

73 Mathison

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 6:28 PM, VE2ZAZ notifications@github.com wrote:

I suggest we work on HSMM-Pi to make it become compatible again with BBHN,
so enable whatever is necessary on the HSMM-Pi, not disable the features on
BBHN.

Thanks,

Bert, VE2ZAZ


From: mathison notifications@github.com
To: urlgrey/hsmm-pi hsmm-pi@noreply.github.com
Cc: VE2ZAZ ve2zaz@yahoo.ca
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 9:06:17 PM
Subject: Re: [hsmm-pi] Compatibility with BroadBand Hamnet v1.1.0 (#33)

cd /

cd etc

cd config

vi olsrd
##Comment out###
#config LoadPlugin
#option library 'olsrd_secure.so.0.6'
#option keyfile '/etc/olsrd.d/olsrd_secure_key'
exit and save!!

I found 2 different etc dir, one under /var and /etc/config the fie
/etc/config/olsrd controls the config of olsrd

is any one using the Vlan assignments, im planing to reconfigure the HSMM
to set the Wan to be the untagged, and set the Lan to be taged. If any
one
can offer any hints before I hack the firmware to behave, as i would
like.

73 Mathison

73 Mathison.

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 2:02 PM, W8RIK notifications@github.com wrote:

LinkSys with 1.1.2 never sees the Pi. The Pi sees the LinkSys WiFi IP
address (not LAN IP Address or callsign) when SSID v1 changed to v2. Pi
will connect to the LinkSys. Changing olsrd.key to gBpRdG7Crp5by9xw did
not
make a difference.


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub
#33 (comment).


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub.


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub
#33 (comment).

@VE2ZAZ
VE2ZAZ commented Jul 18, 2014

I have tried commenting out the secure plug in as suggested three posts above and both nodes now see each other, but connectivity is not established. Pinging the nodes does not work.

73, Bert.

@urlgrey
Owner
urlgrey commented Jul 22, 2014

Fixed by 3694dd8

The current stable version of Broadband Hamnet uses the OLSRD secure plugin with the following key:
gBpRdG7Crp5by9xw

I thought that the secure key had to be 16 hexadecimal characters, providing a 128-bit key. The OLSRD key looks like a Base64-encoded string that exceeds 128-bits in length.

In any case, I relaxed the validation constraints to allow a secure plugin key of any length and composition. I enabled the secure mesh checkbox and specified the key above, and the HSMM-Pi nodes showed up on the BBHN 1.1.2 nodes.

@urlgrey urlgrey closed this Jul 22, 2014
@W8RIK
W8RIK commented Jul 22, 2014

Have two LinkSys HSMM-Mesh v2 nodes (WRT54G v2 and WRT54GL v1.1). Both LinkSys see see the HSMM-pi ver 0.4.0. Neither LinkSys can connect to the Pi. The Pi (with secure mesh checked and specified key entered) connects to and sees both LinkSys nodes, including their advertised services.

@urlgrey
Owner
urlgrey commented Jul 22, 2014

Are the Pi nodes using the 2013-09-10 release of Raspbian with the v0.4.0
release of HSMM-Pi?

--Scott Kidder

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 2:38 PM, W8RIK notifications@github.com wrote:

Have two LinkSys HSMM-Mesh v2 nodes (WRT54G v2 and WRT54GL v1.1). Both
LinkSys see see the HSMM-pi ver 0.4.0. Neither LinkSys can connect to the
Pi. The Pi (with secure mesh checked and specified key entered) connects to
and sees both LinkSys nodes, including their advertised services.


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub
#33 (comment).

@W8RIK
W8RIK commented Jul 22, 2014

The Pi node is using the 2013-07-26 release of Raspbian with the v0.4.0 release.

@W8RIK
W8RIK commented Jul 22, 2014

When installing v0.4.0 release, command "git checkout tags/v0.4.0" failed until I first ran
"git checkout tags/v0.3.0" then "git checkout tags/v0.4.0".

@W8RIK
W8RIK commented Jul 25, 2014

Pi node now using the 2013-09-10 release of Raspbian with the v0.4.0 release of HSMM-Pi. Same results (both LinkSys see Pi ver 0.4.0 but cannot connect & Pi continues to connect to the LinkSys nodes). FYI -github Pi Installation (https://github.com/urlgrey/hsmm-pi) page calls out the 2013-07-26 release of Raspbian.

@VE2ZAZ
VE2ZAZ commented Jul 31, 2014

Hi,

you have closed this issue, yet reports show that the Pi still does not mesh with the latest BBHN firmware. Is your intent to fix this issue? A LOT of users would love to see this working... You can sometimes see entries in the mesh status, but it will not carry traffic.

Thanks and keep up your good work!

Bert, VE2ZAZ

@urlgrey
Owner
urlgrey commented Jul 31, 2014

I've experienced this too, and have found that disabling/enabling the WiFi
interface (sudo ifdown wlan0; sudo ifup wlan0) fixes the issue in many
cases. This suggests that the startup script that verifies the wireless
adapter is up prior to starting OLSRD is not working.

I'm going to fix it soon, but have been busy with other commitments (work,
family, etc). As always, patches are welcome :)

Thanks for your patience, and I'll reopen this issue to ensure it's
properly fixed.

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 8:46 AM, VE2ZAZ notifications@github.com wrote:

Hi,

you have closed this issue, yet reports show that the Pi still does not
mesh with the latest BBHN firmware. Is your intent to fix this issue? A LOT
of users would love to see this working... You can sometimes see entries in
the mesh status, but it will not carry traffic.

Thanks and keep up your good work!

Bert, VE2ZAZ


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub
#33 (comment).

@urlgrey urlgrey reopened this Jul 31, 2014
@mathisono
Contributor

Here I only have hear say but i was talking to a another ham on 20m PSK125
yesterday evening and He reported that, he is running BBHN firmware on a
mixed wrt54g and Ubiquity NS environment, The BBHN firmware 1.1.0 is rushed
and has bugs it self. Im not surprised, But further testing will be needed.
At the moment the HSMM pi project is Works with its self, I cant say the
same of the BBHN...

73 Mathison KJ6DZB

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 8:57 AM, Scott Kidder notifications@github.com
wrote:

I've experienced this too, and have found that disabling/enabling the WiFi
interface (sudo ifdown wlan0; sudo ifup wlan0) fixes the issue in many
cases. This suggests that the startup script that verifies the wireless
adapter is up prior to starting OLSRD is not working.

I'm going to fix it soon, but have been busy with other commitments (work,
family, etc). As always, patches are welcome :)

Thanks for your patience, and I'll reopen this issue to ensure it's
properly fixed.

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 8:46 AM, VE2ZAZ notifications@github.com wrote:

Hi,

you have closed this issue, yet reports show that the Pi still does not
mesh with the latest BBHN firmware. Is your intent to fix this issue? A
LOT
of users would love to see this working... You can sometimes see entries
in
the mesh status, but it will not carry traffic.

Thanks and keep up your good work!

Bert, VE2ZAZ


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub
#33 (comment).


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub
#33 (comment).

@VE2ZAZ
VE2ZAZ commented Jul 31, 2014

OK, I have just tried 2013-07-26 release of Raspbian with the latest release of HSMM-Pi. Between the Pi and WRT54G running BBHN 1.1.x, all is OK, both ways, pings fine. But with Ubiquity M2 Loco, I can see the Pi (only as an IP address though) in the mesh status screen of the M2 Loco, but it will not connect, nor ping. From the HSMM-Pi screen, I cannot see the M2 Loco at all. Go figure!

Bert, VE2ZAZ

@argilo
Collaborator
argilo commented Oct 4, 2014

I've tracked down the problem. See this pull request:

#34

@argilo
Collaborator
argilo commented Apr 23, 2016

As far as I know, there aren't any problems with BBHN / AREDN compatibility anymore. Closing.

@argilo argilo closed this Apr 23, 2016
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment