ESPA-PRODUCT_FORMATTER Version 1.15.0 Release Notes
Release Date: March 2018
The product formatter project contains libraries and tools for working with the ESPA internal file format (raw binary with an XML metadata file). It currently supports Landsat 4-8.
This project is unsupported software provided by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) Earth Resources Observation and Science (EROS) Land Satellite Data Systems (LSDS) Project. For questions regarding products produced by this source code, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This software is preliminary or provisional and is subject to revision. It is being provided to meet the need for timely best science. The software has not received final approval by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). No warranty, expressed or implied, is made by the USGS or the U.S. Government as to the functionality of the software and related material nor shall the fact of release constitute any such warranty. The software is provided on the condition that neither the USGS nor the U.S. Government shall be held liable for any damages resulting from the authorized or unauthorized use of the software.
espa-product-formatter source code
git clone https://github.com/USGS-EROS/espa-product-formatter.git
See git tag [version_1.15.0]
- GCTP libraries (obtained from the GCTP directory in the HDF-EOS2 source code)
- TIFF libraries (3.8.2 or most current) -- ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/pub/libtiff/
- GeoTIFF libraries (1.2.5 or most current) -- ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/pub/geotiff/libgeotiff/
- HDF4 libraries (4.2.5 or most current) -- https://www.hdfgroup.org/ftp/HDF/releases/
- HDF5 libraries (1.8.13 or most current) -- https://www.hdfgroup.org/ftp/HDF5/releases/
- HDF-EOS2 libraries (2.18 or most current) -- ftp://edhs1.gsfc.nasa.gov/edhs/hdfeos/latest_release/
- NetCDF libraries (4.1.1 or most current) -- http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/netcdf/index.jsp
- CURL libraries (7.48.0 or most current) -- https://curl.haxx.se/download
- IDN libraries (1.32 or most current) -- ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/libidn
- JPEG libraries (version 6b) -- http://www.ijg.org/files/
- ZLIB libraries (version 1.2.8) -- http://zlib.net/
- XML2 libraries -- ftp://xmlsoft.org/libxml2/
- JBIG libraries -- http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/jbigkit/
- LZMA libraries -- http://www.7-zip.org/sdk.html
- SZIP libraries -- http://www.compressconsult.com/szip/
- Land/water static polygon -- http://edclpdsftp.cr.usgs.gov/downloads/auxiliaries/land_water_poly/land_no_buf.ply.gz
NOTE: The HDF-EOS2 link currently provides the source for the HDF4, JPEG, and ZLIB libraries in addition to the HDF-EOS2 library.
- Install dependent libraries. Many of these come standard with the Linux distribution.
- Set up environment variables. Can create an environment shell file or add the following to your bash shell. For C shell, use 'setenv VAR "directory"'. Note: If the HDF library was configured and built with szip support, then the user will also need to add an environment variable for SZIP include (SZIPINC) and library (SZIPLIB) files.
export HDFEOS_GCTPINC="path_to_HDF-EOS_GCTP_include_files" export HDFEOS_GCTPLIB="path_to_HDF-EOS_GCTP_libraries" export TIFFINC="path_to_TIFF_include_files" export TIFFLIB="path_to_TIFF_libraries" export GEOTIFF_INC="path_to_GEOTIFF_include_files" export GEOTIFF_LIB="path_to_GEOTIFF_libraries" export HDFINC="path_to_HDF4_include_files" export HDFLIB="path_to_HDF4_libraries" export HDF5INC="path_to_HDF5_include_files" export HDF5LIB="path_to_HDF5_libraries" export HDFEOS_INC="path_to_HDFEOS2_include_files" export HDFEOS_LIB="path_to_HDFEOS2_libraries" export NCDF4INC="path_to_NETCDF_include_files" export NCDF4LIB="path_to_NETCDF_libraries" export JPEGINC="path_to_JPEG_include_files" export JPEGLIB="path_to_JPEG_libraries" export XML2INC="path_to_XML2_include_files" export XML2LIB="path_to_XML2_libraries" export JBIGINC="path_to_JBIG_include_files" export JBIGLIB="path_to_JBIG_libraries" export ZLIBINC="path_to_ZLIB_include_files" export ZLIBLIB="path_to_ZLIB_libraries" export SZIPINC="path_to_SZIP_include_files" export SZIPLIB="path_to_SZIP_libraries" export CURLINC="path_to_CURL_include_files" export CURLLIB="path_to_CURL_libraries" export LZMAINC="path_to_LZMA_include_files" export LZMALIB="path_to_LZMA_libraries" export IDNINC="path_to_IDN_include_files" export IDNLIB="path_to_IDN_libraries" export ESPAINC="path_to_format_converter_raw_binary_include_directory" export ESPALIB="path_to_format_converter_raw_binary_lib_directory"
Define $PREFIX to point to the directory in which you want the executables, static data, etc. to be installed.
- Download the static land/water polygon from http://edclpdsftp.cr.usgs.gov/downloads/auxiliaries/land_water_poly/land_no_buf.ply.gz. Unzip the file into $PREFIX/static_data. Define the ESPA_LAND_MASS_POLYGON environment variable to point to the $PREFIX/static_data/land_no_buf.ply file in order to run the land/water mask code.
Install ESPA product formatter libraries and tools by downloading the source from Downloads above. Goto the src/raw_binary directory and build the source code there. ESPAINC and ESPALIB above refer to the include and lib directories created by building this source code using make followed by make install. The ESPA raw binary conversion tools will be located in the $PREFIX/bin directory.
Note: if the HDF library was configured and built with szip support, then the user will also need to add "-L$(SZIPLIB) -lsz" at the end of the library defines in the Makefiles. The user should also add "-I$(SZIPINC)" to the include directory defines in the Makefile.
Note: on some platforms, the JBIG library may be needed for the XML library support, if it isn't already installed. If so, then the JBIGLIB environment variable needs to point to the location of the JBIG library.
Linking these libraries for other applications
The following is an example of how to link these libraries into your source code. Depending on your needs, some of these libraries may not be needed for your application or other espa product formatter libraries may need to be added.
-L$(ESPALIB) -l_espa_format_conversion -l_espa_raw_binary -l_espa_common \ -L$(XML2LIB) -lxml2 \ -L$(HDFEOS_LIB) -lhdfeos -L$(HDFEOS_GCTPLIB) -lGctp \ -L$(HDFLIB) -lmfhdf -ldf -L$(JPEGLIB) -ljpeg -L$(JBIGLIB) -ljbig \ -L$(ZLIBLIB) -lz -lm
- Removed support for pre-Collection products. This basically involves changing the examples in the usage statements to use Collection filenames instead of pre-Collection filenames. Otherwise, the product formatter isn't affected by pre-Collection vs. Collection products.