Project 1 - Flicks
Flicks is a movies app using the The Movie Database API.
Time spent: 13 hours spent in total
The following required functionality is completed:
- User can view a list of movies currently playing in theaters. Poster images load asynchronously.
- User can view movie details by tapping on a cell.
- User sees loading state while waiting for the API.
- User sees an error message when there is a network error.
- User can pull to refresh the movie list.
The following optional features are implemented:
- Add a tab bar for Now Playing and Top Rated movies.
- Implement segmented control to switch between list view and grid view.
- Add a search bar.
- All images fade in.
- For the large poster, load the low-res image first, switch to high-res when complete.
- Customize the highlight and selection effect of the cell.
- Customize the navigation bar.
The following additional features are implemented:
- Show a placeholder image when image is being loaded for better user experience
- In case of network error, show same placeholder image and blank lines for title for better user experience
- Added a Splash Screen
Here's a walkthrough of implemented user stories:
GIF created with LiceCap.
Describe any challenges encountered while building the app. [x] below means the problem encountered is fixed.
- Had trouble initially with creating outlet for image view in prototype cell's class For somereason, the class and the storyboard weren't appear side-by-side
- Hit uncaught exception 'NSUnknownKeyException'. Fixed it from Connections Inspector
- Navigation controller went haywire after adding tab controller. Problem was that I was setting view controller in tabBarController.viewController array instead of setting it to [nowPlayingNavigationController, topRatedNavigationController]
- In case of Network Error, tapping on placeholder cell breaks the app
Copyright  [Usman Ajmal] Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.