Project 2 - Yelpi
Yelpi is a Yelp search app using the Yelp API.
Time spent: 15 hours spent in total
The following required functionality is completed:
- Search results page
- Table rows should be dynamic height according to the content height.
- Custom cells should have the proper Auto Layout constraints.
- Search bar should be in the navigation bar (doesn't have to expand to show location like the real Yelp app does).
- Filter page. Unfortunately, not all the filters are supported in the Yelp API.
- The filters you should actually have are: category, sort (best match, distance, highest rated), distance, deals (on/off).
- The filters table should be organized into sections as in the mock.
- You can use the default UISwitch for on/off states.
- Clicking on the "Search" button should dismiss the filters page and trigger the search w/ the new filter settings.
- Display some of the available Yelp categories (choose any 3-4 that you want).
The following optional features are implemented:
- Search results page
- Infinite scroll for restaurant results. (LOOK FOR SEPARATE GIF: yelpi-infinite-scroll.gif)
- Implement map view of restaurant results.
- Filter page
- Implement a custom switch instead of the default UISwitch.
- Distance filter should expand as in the real Yelp app
- Categories should show a subset of the full list with a "See All" row to expand. Category list is here.
- Implement the restaurant detail page.
The following additional features are implemented:
- Use "Collection Outlets" for collecting all distance options This allowed me to make sure that only one of the distance option is turned ON at a time with very small block of code. Only one @IBAction func did the magic for me.
- Autolayout for filters page
Please list two areas of the assignment you'd like to discuss further with your peers during the next class (examples include better ways to implement something, how to extend your app in certain ways, etc):
- Is there any better way than delegates to pass information from one view controller to another?
- Is there a good library on Cocoa Pods which provide the expandable view for free?
- Good ways to persist filter preference set by user?
Here's a walkthrough of implemented user stories:
- First GIF has all mandatory items
- Second GIF has infinite scroll
GIF created with LiceCap.
Describe any challenges encountered while building the app.
- Faced problems with usage of Delegates but Tim's video solved the problems
Copyright  [Usman Ajmal] Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.