Data Visualization Curriculum
Table of Contents
The visualization curriculum can be used either online or on your local computer.
- Jupyter Book to read Python notebooks online.
- Run the Python notebooks online on Colab, Nextjournal, or Deepnote
- Install Altair and a notebook environment. The most recent versions of these notebooks use Altair version 4.
- Download the notebooks from the releases page. Typically you will want to use the most recent release. (If you wish to use notebooks for Altair version 3, download the Altair v3.2 release.)
- Open the notebooks in your local notebook environment. For example, if you have JupyterLab installed (v1.0 or higher is required), run
jupyter labwithin the directory containing the notebooks.
Depending on your programming environment (and whether or not you have a live internet connection), you may want to specify a particular renderer for Altair.
Developed at the University of Washington by Jeffrey Heer, Dominik Moritz, Jake VanderPlas, and Brock Craft. Thanks to the UW Interactive Data Lab and Arvind Satyanarayan for their valuable input and feedback! Thanks also to the students of UW CSE512 Spring 2019, the first group to use these notebooks within an integrated course curriculum.